33

As it turns out, Harry is super prepared and hardly needs Louis' help at all.

Mostly, he's nervous though, and needs Louis to tell him he knows what he's doing, so he feels better.

They sit side by side today because they're sharing the book of poetry this time, looking over it together. Their chairs are crammed necessarily close, to the point where their shoulders touch, and their thighs are pressed together constantly. It isn't as obnoxious as Louis would've thought, and he finds he actually enjoys the contact. It's comforting to know his soulmate is next to him, safe and sound.

"Thank you so much," Harry says when they're finished, leaning back in his seat and splaying his arm casually across the top of Louis' chair. It's a flirty gesture and it makes Louis nervous but he tries to embrace it, remembering he's supposed to be giving this a chance. "You've helped a ton. I don't know what I'd do without you."

"Fail, probably," Louis tells him, but he's blushing at the praise anyways.

Harry ignores his insult. "I wanna take you out to dinner, as a thank you for helping me. Is that okay?"

Well, that was unexpected. Louis fidgets in his seat, suddenly unable to look at him. The blush on his face gets worse and he resists the urge to cover his face in his hands. The worst part is no one has ever done something like this for him before, so he has no idea how to act about it.

"I have some ideas," Harry continues on, despite Louis' reaction which is very poor, and not desirable, probably. "But we can go wherever you want. What d'you say?"

"Right now?" Louis squeaks, wishing he could've received a little warning, or time to prepare himself. He feels caught off-guard but surprisingly not as panicky as he could be.

"Yeah, if you're not busy."

Harry knows Louis isn't busy, because earlier he asked if Louis was doing anything tonight and Louis said no. He could make something up and pretend he forgot about it until now, but his mind isn't creative enough to come up with an excuse that won't sound fake even to his own ears.

Words aren't the best right now so he just nods helplessly. Harry beams at him.