Chapter 38

I really can't explain why I'm trailing behind Isabella. Snatching Spencer up and escaping the dangers of this place should be my only objective. But he would never agree to leave. Why would he? He's living the dream right now. Ever since our grandparents took us to that surf festival, he's been obsessed. And I can only imagine his face when I explain my logic for evacuating. "We've have to go. And don't make a scene. Those guys who've been bullying you and calling you names are actually monsters. You can't see them. Only I can. But trust me, they're dangerous and they are after you."

On the other hand, there's a compelling case to stay. If he's truly being hunted, I'd be an idiot to yank him out. I've been warned they would return in numbers if we didn't stop them now. The risks of facing them alone the next time is too great. I'm better off trailing behind Isabella.

We've made our rounds, passing a concession booth, a beach equipment rental stand and countless gray-eyed people. But not a single giant snakehead in sight.

Only thirty or so yards from the starting line behind the lifeguard tower, we assemble around an intense Ms. Febronia. "Think of the mission as an equation, something you're remarkably good at, Courtnee," she says, her unwavering gaze disrupted by our arrival.

"Hey, Mackenzie." Courtnee offers a kind smile and a spot next to her before reciprocating Ms. Febronia's level of intensity.

"Hello. Sorry. I didn't mean to interrupt," I maneuver to a position next to Courtnee that conceals my presence from Spencer, yet still allows me to watch his every move.

"A welcomed interruption. Perfect timing, in fact," says Ms. Febronia. "As I was saying, the goal is to secure the Invaders. Once Mackenzie shares their identity and location, Courtnee, you'll have a better understanding of the situation."

Eagerly nodding along, Courtnee looks to be absorbing every detail. "Got it. But what about the Targets?"

"Your team must provide protection, safety and encouragement for them. Evacuation is the last resort. Instead, stay focused on designing the campaign for extraction of the Invaders, calculating the best use of each team member's endowed gifts."

Drinking in the activity all around, Brittany adds, "Things rarely go as planned. Better to have backup strategies ready to go, just in case."

Isabella elbows me and leans in. "She's what my grandfather would call an industrious type. Always analyzing. Evaluating."

"Good point, Brittany," says Ms. Febronia, "Now, once you've secured all the Invaders, the chances of them infiltrating into your Target's future projections is virtually eliminated." She grabs Courtnee and me by the shoulders, like my coach does to hype us up before a match. "Collaboration between the Thyatiran and Ephesian is instrumental in leading your Shillelagh."

Courtnee's head motions in agreement. No indication of panic. No expression of concern about lurking monsters. Only a grimace of determination. Another industrious type, I suspect.

"Isabella, any updates on the locale of the other two?" Brittany asks.

"No. Not yet. We've checked the entire area, but no sign of them."

"They may be in another Target's projection nearby," says Ms. Febronia. "Sometimes Targets' projections can become blended or overlap. It's not typical, but it can happen," she warns.

Brittany spans the area. "Looks like the competition is about to get underway. Might be best for me to stay focused on these two Invaders for now. We'll have to split up."

Isabella agrees. "I'll survey the area again in case Ms. Febronia's right and we have a set of Invaders locked in on a different Target close by."

"I'll get everyone situated then. Keep looking and alert me if you spot anything," Brittany says.