Chapter 57

"We mustn't waste a minute. Tabitha would understand if we proceed without her."

I can't see. Everything's dark, but I recognize that voice.

"Julia is correct," says a different person. "Tabitha insisted this required our urgent attention. We won't know how she will react. I'm afraid Discernment Day is almost complete." That's...Ms. Lois. I had somehow forgotten about her. And that class. How could I forget about that class? I try to turn my head in her direction, but--I can't.

"Yes. This is especially concerning since she will continue to project." That's Rebecca. "Learning to control this will be most difficult as l understand she remains blind."

Blind? Are they talking about me? What happened?

"She is so young," the woman replies. I know her voice, but I can't place how. "It will be quite unnerving for her. To walk among the mortals knowing of the war raging while they sleep? It's been almost two thousand years, but I can still recall the moment it happened to me."

Two thousand years? Walk among the mortals? My heart races. I'm losing it--again. I need to get out of here.  I don't even know where here is?  And how can I leave...blinded?  My legs--they won't move. In fact, I have no feeling. Anywhere. Not my arms, not my feet, not my fingers or my toes. But I hear their voices loud and clear.  And birds. Singing blue jays.  And a swirling gentle breeze strong enough to stir leaves above me. An interesting choice I've made for background noise during my full blown mental breakdown.

A distinctive heavy sigh is expelled amongst the voices. "Yes. I remember that day well, Julia." It's Mr. Peter. "Jairus was overcome with grief. You were merely twelve when your Ascension was prevented. But you embraced your place within your Covenant at once. No hesitation."

"Yet you must remember, as a Sardis, Discernment was much different for me. I can only imagine what this will be like for a Thyatiran." Something in front of me is shifting. A figure is coming into focus. I can barely make it out. It's a woman. "And you know father's faith could have moved mountains, Peter. What would have become of me without his great example of absolute belief? I sometimes wonder. But she has had no one to guide her."

"She will have us." Ms. Morris is here. I can turn my head now. My eyes are starting to feed me more details. We are surrounded by trees. I smell the freshness of clean air.  But how I ended up here is the question.  Last thing I remember, Sherriff Miller was over meeting with Aunt Amy.  And I told them everything. Well, almost everything.  Then I went to bed. 

"Tabitha," the woman says. "We didn't want to start without you."

"Julia, you may be right." Ms. Morris says. "The risks while she projects could be great. The second trial was proof of this."

My vision is almost completely restored and confusion sets in with the realization of who she is talking to. "Dr. Griffith?" My mouth works.

She looks at me and offers a small smile. "Hi Mackenzie. You remember me?"

"Of course. How could I forget? But...my arm? It's..." I suddenly can lift it. I keep checking it, poking at it, bending it. No pain. It's not broken anymore. I quickly reach for my head. No bandage. No cut. The stitches on my arm and leg are gone, too.

"Here, you are whole," Dr. Griffith says. "And here, I am known as Julia."

"Here? Where's here?"

"Your sacred space," Rebecca says from behind.

I spin around, recognizing the spot--my secret spot, where I stand pretending to be invincible and full of possibility. The one I come to and empty all of my pain and dream of a different life. One free from the terrible choices I've made. Free from the lies I harbor. Free from the secrets I've sworn to protect. "The state line is sacred?" I ask.