Keep Moving Forward

I stared at my bedroom a bit stunned.

A bag sat next to my bed filled with clothes, a brush, all the essentials. Everything I'd need for the trip to Kale's pack lands. Which surprisingly, wasn't much.

Just the look of my room made me pause. It was about to be abandoned, even if it was only for a few days, it might be for longer. I might never come back here. The reality of it was finally hitting home.

"If your pack lands aren't so far away from here, why do you complain about it being so cold?" I asked as I came down the stairs with my pack over one shoulder.

Kale was leaning patiently against the wall at the bottom of the stairs as he looked up at me.

"It's way colder up here, and it's not that my pack lands are close by, but we're going to be traveling as wolves."

I hummed with a slight nod, listening to him as I made it down the steps. Pausing to look around my cabin once more, I let out a sigh. It seemed warmer than usual, maybe it was Kale's added heat, but I suddenly was very reluctant to leave.

"Relax, it's not like you won't see this place again." He told me with folded arms.

"It might be." I murmured a bit sadly.

"Would that be so bad?" He asked and when I looked over at him, he had a hand held out towards me. It took me a second before I realized he wanted me to take his hand.

Somewhat sheepishly, I took it and he lead me outside.

He didn't let go as we exited and kept me walking until we were a good distance from the cabin.

"Don't look back." He murmured before he let go and shift into his large wolf.

I bit my lip, but resisted the urge to disobey him and also shifted. He took off as soon as I had done so and I had to be quick so as not to be left behind.

I could see why he was doing it though, not letting me look back, keeping me moving forward. It was hard to be leaving my home, but if I continued to look back, it would only be harder on me.

I felt a smile as I stared ahead at the bigger oak colored wolf in front of me. He was just trying to help me, and I greatly appreciated it.

But how could I tell him?