Chapter Twenty

Isla was beyond exhausted. School was barely half way over and she found herself yawning at every moment. "Isla, we need to talk about these bags under your eyes! I could pack for a trip to Europe in those things!" Stevie exclaimed while giggling. "Oh hush! I didn't get any sleep last night," Isla yawned.

"Oh really...I guess that's why Mr. Sexy has been sporting the same sleep deprived look as you," Stevie motioned towards Paxton. Isla followed her gaze and smiled once she landed on her mate. "Yeah, we spent the night together." Stevie's eyes nearly popped out of her head. "You did the deed? You're a mated woman now!"

Isla grabbed her best friend's arm pulling her away from the growing crowd of students heading to their next class. "No, crazy woman! We were talking on the phone and I just wanted to be near him, so he came over. We spent the whole night talking and just enjoying one another's company. We haven't mated – yet. But my Mom and Nona are on my case about mating soon."

Stevie chucked. "Only in the supernatural world are mothers and grandmothers alike adamant about their children losing their v-card." Isla shook her head at her best friend. "You know it's more than just sex." Stevie nodded as they walked past their lockers. "No, I know. It's just weird being so open about all of it with parents."

Isla could see where Stevie was coming from, but the mating process had always been something she and her family and coven talked about since she could remember. She wasn't scared to mate with Paxton, but she was still working on the logistics of actually making it happen. "So, I was thinking about mating with Paxton the night before my birthday." Stevie choked on the water she was sipping.

"You were just flaming me about calling you a mated woman! You might as well be! That's in two weeks! Why so soon?" Isla filled Stevie in on the feelings she's been having since last night. A feeling of dread and pain that washed over her in waves as they left the Enchanted Forest. She didn't understand why, but she felt like she had to mate with Paxton sooner rather than later. "I need all the help I can get in somewhat stabilizing my powers, especially since Grey rejected me."

Stevie shook her head. She couldn't believe Grey. "It doesn't make any sense how someone could be so hateful," Stevie said as they walked into the cafeteria. "Well it doesn't matter, because Paxton is literally the man of your dreams. Your first time needs to be special." Stevie instructed earning her a nod from Isla. "I agree, that's why I was thinking of setting up the old cabins passed the Enchanted Forest. I can decorate it, bring a picnic and it would just be very intimate." Stevie nodded in agreement at the plan.

Paxton waited by the entrance of the cafeteria to see the girl of his dreams walk in. When their eyes met the largest smile graced her face. "Hi babe," Isla smiled pecking him on the lips. The three made their way through the line and grabbed food before finding a table. They were all talking and enjoying their food when Isla felt eyes on her. She searched and searched until they landed on big brown ones directly across from her. She sighed and went back to her sandwich as Stevie went into another story about their younger sisters.

Grey watched her from his table and sighed. She looked beautiful in the coral top she wore that complimented her dark chocolate skin, while the white mini skirt and wedged heels she wore made her legs look longer than they were. He was so caught up in eyeing her that he didn't notice the red-head headed his way. "This seat taken?" Selah asked him with a smile. "You seem to ask me that a lot." Grey grunted not in the mood for company. She sat down not taking the hint. "I guess I just like being around a hot wolf like myself." Grey looked at her for the first time. Her bravado was funny, but she was pretty. 'And she's a wolf.' He offered Riel who just chuckled humorlessly. 'She's not Isla. I'll pass.'

"How about I take you out?" Selah asked tracing invisible lines on his arm. He really hated that. Before he could answer the ground began to shake. Students began to stumble about screaming at the "earthquake." He looked up knowing he'd find brown eyes boring into him. He wanted to tell her to not worry. He wanted her to know that Selah meant nothing to him. But he was also standing firm in his stance that she could mean nothing to him as well.

"Isla, baby, I need you to stop." Paxton coaxed. He put his hand over hers and got in her line of sight. "You need to stop, babe." As if a switch flipped on she snapped out of it. All rumbling ceased and students began talking about earthquakes in Massachusetts. "I'm sorry," she whispered to Paxton and Stevie. "It's okay, bestie." Stevie looked directly at Grey who she knew could hear her. "He's a dick."

"That was crazy," Selah chuckled as she leaned into Grey. He nodded and still looked ahead at the girl who he knew was fighting back tears. "So, what's it going to be?" He looked at the red head who in his mind made sense. She was pretty, she wanted him, and she was a wolf. "Sure." She clapped with glee and he chuckled. "Meet me at Any Given Sundae tonight at 6pm." He turned to look at her at the same time she leaned in to kiss his cheek. The peck surprised both of them, but Selah smiled seductively before getting up. Grey didn't have to look to know Isla had seen the whole thing. When he finally did look she was getting up and walking out of the cafeteria.

Isla had to get out of there or she would have the school collapse on itself. She made her way outside to the football field. She stood by the bleachers shaking and willing herself not to cry, but failing miserably. She felt a presence behind her and was certain it was Paxton so imagine her surprise when Grey walked in front of her. "What are you doing out here?" She asked looking at the goal post on the field. "I don't know." She looked up expecting golden irises only to be met by brown eyes. "So, do you like her?" Grey was confused as to who she was talking about until it clicked. "I don't know. She's a wolf like me. It just makes sense." Isla nodded and felt like her heart was being torn apart.

She could feel the ground wanting to shake violently. She wished it would swallow him whole, but knew it wouldn't oblige. According to Otha, Grey could help her control Earth and Fire, which is why he could calm her when fire took over and the earth would react whenever he angered or upset her. 'I can put him in a giant water bubble until he can barely breathe.' She thought with a smirk, but knew deep down she wouldn't be able to do that either. "You're my mate, Grey. You're supposed to love me...choose me." The tears were falling and it took everything in him not to wipe them away. He felt the takeover happen too late. Before he could stop it, Riel was standing in front of her, golden irises and all.

"Hello, love." Isla chuckled sadly as he pulled her into his warm embrace. She wiped her tear stain cheeks and looked up at him. "I'm sorry my worse half is such an idiot." He held her chin and smiled. "But I need you to know that I love you. I've loved you from the moment I saw you in the Enchanted Forest and I will always love you." At the chance of Grey taking over, Isla stood on her tiptoes and kissed Riel. There was nothing gentle about it. It was filled with raw passion and need. Their tongues did a mating ritual of their own and with every moan, Riel became more and more fueled.

In the midst of the kiss, Grey took over but couldn't stop himself from kissing her back. She grabbed onto him, pulling him closer and he obliged. It was only when the bell rang did they part. Isla fully expected golden irises to be staring down at her, but instead they were stormy and deep brown. Without so much as a word Grey turned around and headed back into school. Isla stood there speechless as she touched her lips. She looked up to see a peering Paxton and knew he had been there the whole time.

She made her way towards him and he just reached for her hand and kissed her temple. They made it to theatre in record time and Isla couldn't help the feelings that were running through her. She wanted to pay attention to Mrs. Darling, but her mind was a sea of kisses and mixed messages. "Are you okay?" Paxton whispered as class went on. No. "I'll be fine." She smiled softly and turned her head back to the board. She was ready to be done with school. She wanted nothing more than to be in bed or on the couch eating a tub of ice cream.

"Let's go out tonight," Paxton asked as school let out. Isla smiled at him. "I don't know. Today was a lot and I'm tired from no sleep last night. I really just want to eat a tub of ice cream and then pass out." Paxton intertwined their hands. "How about we go to that ice cream parlor in Bane's Manor and then you can pass out. You can even pass out there and I'll run you home." She chuckled at him. She hadn't been to Any Given Sundae in a while. "Okay, but after homework." He nodded. "I'll pick you up at 6." He gave her a peck and they headed their separate ways.