Chapter 22: Until You Make It

I smiled and quickly replied, then opened my locker. If only he could be beside me throughout the day. I wanted to believe that text would make everything better, but it was going to be a rough Monday.

"Hey girl!" Zoe exclaimed as she wrapped her arms around my neck, holding onto me like a sloth hangs to a tree.

Something in her tone told me that something was going on. It caused my stomach to tie into knots. "Hey. So, what's going on?"

She frowned. "So maybe the entire football team hates you, thanks to Isaac, but that's ok because we didn't like them anyhow."

It didn't matter that I was the old team captain's little sister. Now that Tristen was gone, I could be public enemy number one. "Let them believe what they want."

Isaac thought that would make my life hell, but I had already been through hell. Plus, but the end of the school year, I would never have to see them again.

"That's the spirit!" Zoe fist-pumped the air as the bell rang. Suddenly her excitement died down as she glared at the bell. "NOOOOO!"

I chuckled at her. "We aren't here to be social." With that, left her to pout alone.

With my head held high, I sat down in the same chair as always for first period. As I pulled out my books a ball of paper hit my head. I picked it up with a frown as looked around the room to see the culprit, but no one made eye contact with me.

I glared at the three football players behind me then stuffed the paper into my bag. Real mature.

By time lunch came, I was ready to leave and forget the pettiness.

"Please tell me what you bought for lunch because Mom gave me lentils and rice and I HATE them. Can we trade?" Zoe asked as she pulled out her lunch, placing it on the table.

I handed her my leftover mac and cheese. "You know I do like your mother's lentils."

"I don't think I have ever been so happy to eat cold mac and cheese," Zoe said as she opened the container.

Laughing behind me caused my head to snap up towards the direction. I locked eyes with the soccer team a few tables away. Ever since last year's championships, we hadn't talked, not after what I did. They tossed me out even though I was the best player, saying I was emotionally unstable and a terrible person.

I tried not to dwell on those words, but they bubbled up, making me numb. I had done so much to try to get in their good graces, but they still haven't accepted me back. They didn't give me leeway last season even though I was an emotional mess. They didn't care that my dad died, and they didn't understand why I acted out.

"I'll be back."

Zoe's eyes widened as she tried to stop me. "No, Isla, don't engage," Zoe hissed.

I shook my head as I swallowed my fear. "Practice starts soon. I need to talk to them."

"But they already think you're crazy, don't let them fuel their fire." She glanced at the soccer players who watched us.

At least I would get some things off my chest. With a deep breath and my head held high, I walked over to them. "I, um, hi Rayden." I said, feeling my confidence waver. I held onto the edge of the table as I tried to steady myself.

"Hey," Rayden said as she chewed on her gum. We were never best friends, so this was uncomfortable to say the least.

"Practice for the season starts soon..."

She shrugged. "Maybe."

Frustration rose within, making my cheeks hot. I wanted at least a second chance. "Listen, I know what I did at the championship was out of line, but can't we just look past that?"