Chapter 54 | The baby

'What a man gotta do?
To be totally locked up by you'

R a y

I am 8 months into my pregnancy and it feels like I become a ton heavier each day.

"Ace," I say weakly from the couch. Being the amazing partner that he is, he hangs up on the phone, that I didn't realize was occupying him, and walks over to me.

"What's wrong?" He says worriedly.

I hate being so weak that he constantly has to worry about me but this pregnancy hasn't been easy at all.

"I don't know," I say, sleep deprived.

"Do you want to go walk around the lake?" He suggests.

"Not by the guards," I whine, wanting to spend more time with him. He's been very busy with work and we haven't been sleeping in the same bed because I feel bad about my toss ups.

"I'll walk with you then," he smiles when he sees my excitement.

After getting on my wheelchair, Ace wheels me to a park that he had rented out for me to get fresh air in. We talk nonstop and it would be the first time in a while that I've felt peace.

"Do you think we could get pizza here?" I ask once we're settled in on a bench.

"I can make it happen," he pulls out his phone and dials a number. "Which type of pizza?"

"Cheese," I think, "or pepperoni or hawaiian," I list out. After a minute of continuous listing, he decides to get every option and feed the leftovers to the guards at close proximity.

"What will his name be?" I ponder and catch Ace staring at me. He tucks a piece of my hair behind my ear before answering.

"Given that you deny all my options, whatever you want," he chuckles to himself.

"Your options so far have been Chicken Little, Robert Downey Jr. Jr. and Batman," I defend.

"How about Alexander?" He suggests, this time un ironically.

"Is that too general though?"

"It's my middle name that I got from my grandpa," he explains his logic.

"Baby Alex," I check the sound of it and get a kick in response. "Your child has awoken," I laugh and guide his hand to my belly.

"Man, he's really strong just like his father," hearing Ace talk in a baby talk has been the most wholesome thing I have seen.

"The sun's going down, should we go wait for the pizza at home?" I suggest.

"Your wish is my command," he stands up, ready to assist me in plopping down on my wheelchair.

"Than-" Before I could stand up, I feel a sharp pain followed by fluids gushing out of me. I immediately look at Ace to see him wide eyed and pale without a show of excitement.

I look down to see red tinted water, which is weird because it's not supposed to be red at all. Then I follow the trial and notice that I am leaking blood.