Chapter VIII. SCAVENGER HUNT

The next two days passed by in a blur, and somehow Axel had managed to avoid Will for the most part. He hadn't even asked him to tell him any more stories when the day would come to an end, and Axel was able to fall asleep almost instantly.

He wasn't, however, able to avoid Will's useless excuse for teammates. He'd been paired with them for the past two days and had to sit through stupid ice breaker games and team bonding activities without Jack, Nathan, and Benji there to make it at least bearable.

And to top it all off, Axel had gotten a text from his dad this morning with news that had made Axel's day just absolutely amazing.

8:36 am
Grandparents are going to be in town when you get back.

-Dad

He'd never gotten along with his father's parents, and they'd never really liked Axel anyways.

It was always, Axel do this, Axel do that.

Axel go make us breakfast. Axel when are you going to let us meet your girlfriend? Better not be like those boys who like other boys, they'd say. Ridiculous.

He'd grown tired of their old fashioned ways and beliefs, and found himself locking himself in his room for the time that they'd show up, praying that they'd leave soon.

The rest of his day had been similar to the others: doing community work for half of it, eating lunch, then dispersing into groups to do teambuilding activities. They'd just finished eating dinner when Mike Michaels had announced that they were going to be doing one more fun activity before going off to bed.

A scavenger hunt in the woods with their roommates.

Axel was just so excited.

They'd been handed a list and a pen, as well as a bag to put the things they would have to find in and the directions, saying they wouldn't be allowed back in the cabin unless they worked together to find the items.

The list read:

Flower,
Rock (one smooth, one rough),
Two kinds of leaves,
Pinecone,
Acorn,

and so on.

The list seemed to go on forever. Axel's particular favorite was the one that read: Something you think is a treasure.

If it meant heading back to the cabin faster, Axel thought that the broken branch hanging in front of his face was extremely interesting and definitely a treasure.

"Can you not be morbid for once?" Will asked, bending down to pick up a rock in the middle of the path.

Axel narrowed his eyes. "Be quiet," he said. "I can't hear myself losing the will to live while you talk."

Will arched a brow. "Is that so?"

"Yes," he replied, voice stern.

Will laughed, the sound loud and melodic. "You are so strange, Hunter."

"Thanks," he deadpanned, glaring at the green foliage before him.

The forest was beautiful--there was no doubt about it. Beams of sunlight cascaded through the leaves as the sun sank lower and lower into the sky with every passing minute.

It'd be dark soon, and they weren't even halfway through the list.

"Is this how little you think of me, batboy?" Will questioned, tone mocking as his lips curved into a smile.

Axel rolled his eyes. "You have no idea."

"Oh, how you wound me," he proclaimed.

"Good."