nine. BREATHE

Your hands protect the flames
From the wild winds around you

Jasper Hale's grey Ford Mustang shone beneath the overcast clouds that obscured the sun from dreary Forks

Jasper Hale's grey Ford Mustang shone beneath the overcast clouds that obscured the sun from dreary Forks. Alice Cullen, his beloved, adopted sister was seated beside him and both were unfazed by the wind whipping through the open-roofed vehicle.

Behind them raced a blood-red convertible. Rosalie Hale was behind the wheel of her beloved vehicle with her husband whooping beside her. His adopted twin and himself had developed a somewhat competitive sibling relationship. Thus it was no surprise that the drive to school had become a race. Rosalie was undeniably the reigning champion among the family. As usual, she stole the victory from right under Jasper when a flash of red sped in front of the mustang, followed by a stream of taunts from Emmett.

Jasper and Alice sped between the red convertible and a sliver Volvo at speeds most humans wouldn't ever dare to reach. Their adopted brother, Edward had finally decided to face the walking predicament that was Carmen's twin due to much prompting from Carlisle who believed that the problem couldn't be avoided forever.

Mondays were undoubtedly a hefty dread for humans and Jasper would know that better than anyone after years of enduring the emotions of miserable teenagers. But when you haven't slept for over 140 years, Mondays blurred into every other day.
However, Jasper found himself to be excited, such a human emotion in its raw purity. His excitement was directed onto a certain blue-eyed brunette who'd somehow managed a steal a piece of his stone heart. Of course, this excitement was echoed onto his siblings. Jasper was unaware of his gift's current influence, but this didn't go unnoticed by his siblings who smiled fondly at their blond brother.

After Carmen Swan has drifted to sleep on his shoulder a couple of weeks ago, he'd followed her lingering scent from the trail she'd taken from the Swan residence. He'd jumped to her window with the human gently tucked in one pale arm that wrapped securely around her back to the backs of her thighs while the other gently caressed her cheek, brushing stray hairs from her eyes. Jasper gently placed her feather-like body on her mattress and untied her laces. He slipped off the black converse and suppressed a chuckle at her corgi socks before removing her jacket, leaving her in an old shirt that she'd worn underneath. With her head resting on her pillow, he brought the comforter over her body, he'd leant down a gently pressed his lips to her hairline before fleeing from her window.

When he had arrived back at his family's residence, Emmett had been seated patiently on the couch as though he were a parent awaiting his son's return after they'd snuck out. Emmett flicked through one of Rosalie's car magazines and smirked suggestively with his eyebrows rolling up and down like a caterpillar at the scent that lingered on his blond brother. Jasper just rolled his eyes before speeding to his room as to not get caught by the rest of the family.

But of course, blabbermouth Emmett had the time of his life gossiping to the rest of the family.

🌑

Like any other day, it passed relatively uneventfully for Carmen. Before she knew it, she was skipping out the doors of the school to the car park littered with ice, arms linked with Alice before waving the pixie goodbye. Alice continued to her family who awaited their sister at their row of cars and waved at the tall brunette. Alice smiled in glee at the sister she would gain in the coming future.

Bella Swan had been awaiting her sister at the red truck, stealing glances at the breathtaking Cullen who'd mysteriously returned after days and days of absences. He stood by his silver Volvo, one hand resting on the roof as she conversed with his siblings, but he too glanced with intrigue at the dark-haired twin.

Carmen mirrored Alice's smile, but it all came crumbling down at the screeching of tyres. Carmen looked up to see a navy van losing control and skidding right towards her sister. She screeched, doubling over before dropping everything and running with everything she had in her. Bella was frozen with fear as she backed into the truck, knowing well that her demise was upon her.

Carmen's feet raced her straight to the path of the truck. Part of her knew she'd never make it, but dying in the place of her sister seemed a worthy sacrifice.

She'd almost reached the truck where she would have pushed Bella from harm, but the van was less than a metre away from colliding with her. Carmen could only hope that its impact with her body would knock it off course from the faded red pick-up truck.

But Carmen Swan would never know what her fate would have been as a gust of wind and stone-cold arms swept her away from the danger zone. She'd been sped at least ten metres away in less than a second at speeds the flash would envy. One strong arm was wrapped tightly across her back and waist while the other tangled in the hair at the back of her head, pressing her face into a cold, rock-solid chest. Her lungs begged for a deep breath and the calming scent of the sea infiltrated her nose. Her frenzy transformed into a calm state as she gripped the white puffy jacket, but that state too crumbled as seconds later, the sound of a crash echoed across the car park. Carmen's head whipped around to see the van's end smashed into the truck. She almost retched until she saw Edward jump out from between the two vehicles.

Her legs felt so weak and if it weren't for the arm wrapped around her, she was certain that she'd meet the ground. She instinctively twisted back with wide eyes to the intoxicating scent of oceans and was met with the topaz eyes of Jasper Hale staring back at her with so much concern.

"Breathe Carmen...darling please, you've gotta breathe," but everything went black.

----------

alohaaa

this was so dramatic and I freaking loved it!

IMPORTANT-let me know what you guys think about the lengths of the chapters, I have no idea whether they're too short/too long etc.

btw, I just realized that there is already a Carmen in Twilight (in the Denali coven). It's such an unusual and awesome name, what are the chances!

but I love this name and I've already planned the whole story so Ima keep using it.

and also, here is a pic of Jasper's car:

how awesome is it! it's a 2017 Ford Mustang Convertible

how awesome is it! it's a 2017 Ford Mustang Convertible. incase you were wondering, I chose it purely because of the horse at the front and I can so imagine him driving it.

have a great night

x