Chapter 24: Break Free

Douglass

One of Max's demons wrenched me away from Nate, hauling me back. I clawed at his rough hands, but it was no use. I was too week from the loss of adrenaline to fight the beast off as Max walked forward and wrapped his hand around Nate's neck.

"Nate, you need to just leave!"

Max clicked his tongue, squeezing Nate's neck. He didn't seem to have any reaction to it. He just stared at the demon head-on with his jaw clenched. Max rose his brow, shoving him back into the hands of more of his demons. "He doesn't get to just leave, lover. I'm going to have some fun with him."

I felt my heart drop. "No, Max, please--"

He whipped his hand out, striking my face. I felt blood well as a cut opened up on my cheek. I stared at the floor, effectively shut up.

Max took my chin in his hand, forcing me to look at him. "Have you already forgotten all that we've been going over these past few weeks? You know not to speak out of turn."

I snarled. "Go fuck yourself."

His eyes flashed, and he glanced back at Nate, who was trying to get away from the demons holding him. "Now, now. You wouldn't want your little toy to get hurt even worse because of your misbehavior, would you?"

"No."

"'No' what?"

I swallowed down the nasty comment I wanted to spit at him. Disobeying him would only make things worse for Nate."No, master."

Nate growled. "You piece of shit! Get away from him!"

Max yanked my face up, pulling our faces inches apart. "Same goes for you, wolfy. Your misbehavior will be punished in... Less than desirable acts against our little siren."

Nate let out a grunt of frustration, still fighting against the demon. "Douglass--"

I shook my head. "Please. Just... Don't make him mad. It won't end well."

Max grinned crookedly at him. "He's right. You won't like to see me angry."

Nate finally stopped fighting, looking into my eyes painfully. I read the question on his face. I shook my head, looking away. "I'm sorry, Nate. I have to do what he wants."

Max smiled down at me. "Good boy."

He leaned down, forcing his lips on mine. I squeezed my eyes shut, trying to pretend it wasn't him kissing me. He pulled away, lowering his hand to my waist and planting the other on my shoulder, smiling slightly and looking over at Nate.

I could feel his eyes burning holes in the side of my head, but I couldn't bring myself to look at him. My face burned and I felt tears prick in my eyes. Max's nails dug into the bare skin of my torso and shoulder, and I let out a strained whimper.

Max pressed himself against my body, his hand moving from my shoulder to the nape of my neck. "What do you think, lover? Should I take you right in front of him? Wouldn't that be the sweetest torture?"

I clenched my hands into fists, staring at the floor.

Max ran his fingers lightly over my spine. "I asked you a question, Doug."

I was shaking. I opened my mouth, but Nate spoke before I even had a chance to. "Get your filthy hands off him!"

Max smirked. "Ah, there it is. The restrained wolf, trying to break free."

I looked over at Nate, seeing her was pulling against the demons again. His eyes were liquid gold, and his canines had sharpened again. I was sure that if I could see his hands, I would find them half-transformed like they were when he fought his uncle.

I stepped towards him, forgetting myself for a split second. "Nate--"

Max gripped my throat, pulling me against his chest. "Not so fast, lover. You wouldn't want to get hurt, would you? Wolfy is having trouble containing himself. I wouldn't be surprised if he... Lost control completely."

I clenched my fists, locking eyes with Nate. He was thrashing against the demons holding him so hard that their claws were digging into his skin, leaving bloody red marks. "Nate wouldn't hurt me."

Max let out a small chuckle. "It's sad that you think he's safe to be around. He can't contain that rage of his--"

"He wouldn't hurt me," I re-stated, a snarl slipping into my voice, "Because he isn't like you."

Max stilled. "What is that supposed to mean?"

"It means you hurt me to show me that you're powerful. You hurt me to prove that you're in control."

"So what if I do? It's true."

"No," I grabbed his wrist, my skin burning with searing heat it hadn't had in a long time, "It's not."

Max shouted in alarm when I squeezed his wrist, the audible cracking of his bone echoing throughout the room. I planted my other hand on his shoulder, reaching behind me to grab his shirt. He started to say my name, but I used all my strength to rip his hand off my throat and flip him over my head. He went flying, landing a few feet in front of me.

I stalked over to him, fire wreathing down my body. "You're an abusive bastard, Maximus." I pressed my foot onto his throat, digging my heel into his airways. "And I loath you."

That was the first time I'd ever said I hated him to his face. And he did not like it. He growled, shoving my foot off him and standing up. "You bitch."

His wings spread and his markings and eyes glowed, as they always did when he was angry. I didn't back down. I planted my feet and willed heat onto my skin. I was sure that the spaces in between my scales were glowing like magma, as were my eyes.

Max snarled, lunging at me. When his hands came into contact with my throat, he shouted in pain and drew them away. I grinned. "You forget that I'm a volcanic witch, Maximus. Not even demons can withstand the heat of molten rock."

He got over his shock quickly, anger taking over his face. "You will not defy me!"

I felt the ground rumble under my feet. "Oh, I will. I'm breaking free from you. Perminately. "

Max let out a growl, stalking around me. He was smart enough not to touch me again, or he risked permanent damage to his hands. "So you want to play like that? Let's play, then."

I turned to look at him. He was standing to the side of the demons holding Nate. In that split second, I realized he was going to use Nate against me. Max snapped his fingers, and the demons grabbed his hands, holding them up as chains materialized around them, growing up to the ceiling where they mounted solidly. A whip fell from Max's hand.

"Do not touch him!" I tried to run forward, but Max held up his hand. A wall of magical energy shot up, blocking me off from them. "Maximus, let him go!"

Max locked eyes with me. "If you don't want him hurt, then you need to stand down, Doug."

I gritted my teeth, slamming my fist against the wall. "Nate!"

He looked up, still fighting against his restraints. "Don't, Douglass! Don't let him win!"

Max rose his brow, then raised the whip. He moved to strike Nate's back, but I yelled, "Okay! I'll stand down, just don't hurt him."

Max smiled, the whip disintegrating. "Lovely. Grab him."

The demons surged forward grabbing my arms. I cooled my skin down, the glow fading from my scales and eyes. The chains around Nate's wrists sprung open, and Max grabbed his neck.

He used one hand to hold Nate and the other to cut a circle in the air. A portal opened, a searing blue around the edges of the opening. He shoved Nate through. I jolted, wanting to go after him. Max's nose twitched. "Don't fret, Douglass. You're joining him in that cell."

The demons yanked me forward roughly, shoving me through the opening. I landed on my knees, grunting at the pain. I stood and turned to the opening.

Max looked down his nose at me. "Get comfy. You'll be in there for a while."

The portal closed, leaving Nate and I sealed in the dark, damp cell.