Chapter 30

Hunter

     Hunter strode through the hallway of the new hideout. It was once again a small house located in the middle of the woods, where Hunter, Chase, Liana and their parents and siblings all hid in. This house was larger than the last now that more families were involved, but it was still tiny and chipping away with age.

     But at least, it only took Hunter a few seconds to reach Liana's door.

     He paused before knocking on it, thinking about Cassia. Of the way she wouldn't meet his eyes as if ashamed of what she'd done. Of the way her cheeks reddened, her eyes blown wide as he kissed her to punish himself for what he'd done.

     He had ruined the one good thing in his life. But now, he would fix everything.

     Hunter raised his hand and knocked against Liana's door. She shouted for him to come in and he opened the door and stepped inside, shutting it behind him.

     Liana lay on her bed with a book in her hand. She was reading up fighting techniques and her eyes peered up at him, a frown on her face as he stood there in her small room, where there was nothing but a bed and nightstand, and plain white walls.

     "Hi," Liana said, sitting up. She put her book down. "Is something wrong?"

     "Why do you hate Cassia?"

     Liana stilled. She frowned and Hunter stood there, expressionless.

     "Why are you asking?"

     Hunter didn't reply and Liana sighed. Her red hair was out and it ran down her back in gentle waves.

     "Well, why wouldn't I hate her?" Liana said. "She has everything. Power, beauty, money, but she's a horrible person. She's always been the enemy - we were raised knowing that. Don't you remember, Hunter? Her father and her are the people we hate most in this world."

     "But why do you hate her?" Hunter asked. "This much. Outside of my father and our purpose."

     Liana's eyes darkened. She rose up to stand and slid closer to him, her eyes blazing under the lamp light. Hunter fastened his eyes on hers and he tensed when she stopped a foot away.

     "I hate her because she took everything away from me - including you," Liana said. "She already has everything, but she stole you right when I thought you were falling for me."

     Hunter stilled. He knew how Liana felt, but it was unnerving to hear that she hated Cassia because of his feelings for her.

     "I was never yours, Liana," Hunter said, trying his best to keep his voice levelled. But, his heart sunk as Liana crumpled. "I'm sorry if I ever made you think I reciprocated your feelings - that was cruel of me to do, but I was just looking for a distraction and you came to me and..."

     Hunter drifted off. He sounded heartless. And now, he realized how horrible he'd been to Liana.

     "Why her?" Liana whispered. "I just don't get it. You could have been a prince if it weren't for her, so why did you fall for her as if she isn't the reason behind your pain?"

     "Maybe my life could have been different, but this is the life I got. There's no changing that."

     "You can change that! If you follow your father's order, you can-"

     "Do you think my father will be a good king?"

     Liana froze. Her eyes flew wide before she concealed her expression with a serious one.