Chapter 9

After we were done, the Alpha showed me around the room that was being prepared for me. It was fairly large and spacious enough to store all the books I had underneath my mattress and all the lies I carried with myself.

"Should this not be enough, you can always stay at mine." He said, standing by the doorway and watching me check out the room.

I scoffed, "And watch you bone other women? I'll pass on that." I kept my voice low as I could but he still heard me.

Instead of getting angry over my remarks, he laughed, "You could always join."

After checking out everything, I turned around and said, "I could—if they were two men."

His lips turned into a frown. "Now that's the kind of humor I'm not fond of, kitten."

"Sorry," I needed to keep myself in check. I couldn't lose this, any of it. I needed to get myself pregnant as quickly it was possible. "It's amazing. Thank you." I showed some gratitude before the Alpha thought of me as some bitchy, ungrateful omega.

"You're welcome." He pulled himself away from the doorway and I followed him out of the room. "It should be ready in a couple of days."

"What if it's a girl?" I asked, ignoring everything else. "Aren't Alpha's fond of having boys as their heir?"

"I wouldn't care less. I want a child, regardless." His lips lined straight as he replied.

Some obsession.

But again, we were all obsessed with something or the other—whether it was a child or a title or power.

Most of the night went by and by the time I reached my quarters, everyone was sleeping in there. I changed my clothes and went under the sheets without making a single noise.

Vanessa and the other omegas were working hard over here and I didn't want to disturb them in anyway. They needed sleep more than I did.

I closed my eyes for a second but was unable to sleep so I turned around on the bed and faced the window.

It was a full moon.

A full moon.

My heart beat quickened and sweat collected around my forehead immediately. I took in large breaths and when I knew it was coming, I jolted off the bed and ran into the kitchen that was empty.

A tightness gripped my chest.

It was here.

Flashes of the full moon six years ago went through my head. It was the same—bright and deadly. I was too lost in these days that I didn't keep a check on the calendar nor I realized that tonight was the full moon.

The sudden glance of it brought me to tremendous panic. My mouth went dry, I felt my throat closing up and my feet tingling. I pushed a few fingers into my mouth, shutting off any voices that left it.

I cried harder when I heard the sounds of my Dad screaming for help. It repeated—the entire thing that happened six years ago, under the full moon, the night he died, the night he was ripped apart, from limb to limb.

His blood scattered across the ground, it touched my feet when I was in the forest that night.

I took a few steps backwards in the kitchen, fighting away from the memories but I dropped right down on the ground. A bile rose inside my throat and I gathered my knees together before burying my head inside and breathing hard.