Chapter 20: Lucky

I paced the room faster and faster as I spoke, as though to physically chase my train of thought. "No one has actually seen the virus spread from one person to another—" approaching the fireplace "—though we know entire communities get Infected at the same time—" striding to the closet "—but maybe that's just how the Noble Forces keep anyone from guessing their involvement. Plus the microchips explode when the Infected are killed or captured!"

Only then did I realize I had forgotten to breathe, and I drew in a long breath as I turned back toward Rekkan. He had pulled his pants up again and now sat with his hands planted on the mattress on either side of him, motionless and silent.

A bout of nerves fizzled my excitement. Rekkan had served for the Noble Forces. What if he refused to believe me?

I flopped down on the bed beside him and grabbed my mother's book. "In this book, my mother asks what better future the Noble Forces are fighting for. I... I know they helped you, but maybe no one understands their true goal."

Silence.

"Rekkan?"

"Present."

I swallowed and fiddled with the bent corner of the leather book cover. "Please say something. What are you thinking?"

He leaned back a few inches, gaze flicking toward the ceiling. "I don't know. It just sounds a little..."

A pang jabbed my chest. I laid the book down beside me and fisted my hands on my lap. "Crazy?"

He pinched the bridge of his nose and exhaled. Then he dropped his hand over mine, warm, rough fingers enveloping my cold ones. "If this all is true, we're not looking for a cure for an Infection. We are facing a mastermind plot from the most powerful remaining force in humanity. How would we fight that?"

I gnawed on my lip. "Your bionic leg was made at the Noble Forces headquarters in Etherland. That must be where they manufacture and control all of the microchips. We need to find a way to shut it all down."

His thumb traced over the back of my hand. Stilled. Then he said slowly, "How sure are you, Zaf?"

"Very." The certainty in my own voice surprised me. "I know it sounds crazy, but if—"

"Then we'll go to Etherland."

"—you'll hear me out, I—wait, what? Really?"

His head tipped down and up in a slow nod. "Yep."

I furrowed my brow. "I didn't expect you'd be persuaded so easily. I know you trusted the Noble Forces. Served for them."

He shrugged. "I trusted them, yeah. But I trust you more."

The rush of nerves and excitement spilled into something else, something that squeezed the breath from my lungs and glued my eyes to his lips. "Rekkan?"

"Yeah, Zaf?"

"Can I kiss you right now?"

He drew in a breath, and his eyes locked on mine. Then he propped one hand on the mattress behind me and, carefully, tenderly, brushed his other hand over my ear to thread into my hair. His gentleness seemed to require as much muscle as lifting heavy weights or swinging a machete. His shoulders bunched, his thigh clenched, his chest muscles tensed.

When he leaned toward me, his uneven breaths tickled my nose and lips. Inches away, he stopped, eyes darting between mine. "Are you sure you want this, Zaf? You don't need to do it for me. Even if you never touch me, I'll still—"

"I want it. I need it." In that moment, the words had never felt truer. I had only exchanged sexual favors for things I actually needed. I never understood how anyone could allow lust to bypass logic. Now, the need for Rekkan's skin on mine surpassed even the need for food.