Chapter - 6

I was glad that Ishani was alone at home when I arrived with half spread, half closed bat wings on my back. After telling her about the hectic night, I felt relaxed and gradually the wings contracted and vanished behind my back like they were never there.
I can now understand how much pain Ishu and other shifters go through each time they shift.

With how much pain I had managed to bury Carter's body beside the cave as promised was something I'll never forget.

The next couple of days I spent at her place replenishing before heading to the pack house.

To my relief, there were no guards outside and the hall was empty. As I walked further inside, I was introduced with no welcomes but cries of a familiar female voice. Concealing my presence, I followed the voice to the slightly open door of Aunt Sim's office room.

"Slam" a tight slap hit Riya's left cheek and a hard kick landed at the back of her knees. She landed on the floor teary eyed. Aunt came forward and took Riya's chin in hers.

Deep stood behind Riya, playing with his short beard. His deep brown eyes held a twisted euphoria, matching with his smug expression. His clean shaved head had started to spurt tiny hairs. His golden skin matched his ear piercings. He parted his thin lips to lick his lower lip revealing his recent golden tongue piercing.

"Next time, you won't be alive to see the light of the day. Get lost." Aunt Sim shouted at her like she just committed a great sin.

Riya nodded her head twice and walked out of the office, mechanically. Closing the door, she started sobbing and ran outside.

Hiding my scent, I ran after her with a newfound curiosity. What exactly could she have done to make Aunt that furious?

Never mind Deep, he's always pissed at somebody as it is.

She stopped in the garden abruptly. I hid behind the long planted palm tree row in order to hide my presence from her.

"You....can laugh.....at me." She said between sobs.

"I wasn't laughing." I replied.

"Then?" She asked.

I braved a step ahead and walked to face her. Her eyes were red and puffy from crying.

"I saw you being hit by Aunt and Deep. Nothing exceptional for Deep but very unlikely of Aunt. What did you do to make her mad?" I asked.

"Seriously, now it's my fault that someone slaps me, threatens to kill me? If you say so, she's mad at me because I told her that you had a girlfriend. She got word about your regular visits with a young shifter girl and was planning to confirm the truth based on my information. But the fiasco at breakfast made you MIA for 3 days. She's been extracting her frustration at me because her precious nephew slipped off her clutches." She shouted furiously.

"What the hell do you mean huh? Don't talk about my Aunt in that tone." I growled at her.

"Your Aunt? FYI Ashish, she is not related to you in any manner. She's not as high as you think of her. You are nothing but a pawn in her game, just like all of us." She growled in an equal furious tone.

Her first ever act of defiance against me did the opposite of infuriating me.

"Are you out of your mind Riya?" I asked her.

"You- urghhhh. "

She made an irritable noise and ran outside the garden further. I followed her tracks and stopped as she did at least a 100 meters away from the house.

"I am in my right mind, it's you who isn't. Not that it's entirely your fault. She's kept you ignorant of even your own abilities for years. I was rather glad that night you three were reading that catalogue." She huffed.