six

The next few weeks were kind of fun. We hung out after school quite a bit and our families spent a lot of time together.

I walk into school, my hair pulled into a low bun. A pair of black sweatpants and a baggy ACDC t-shirt. My earbuds in and my head down.

The school day seems to go by fairly easy and quick.

At the end of the day I bump into someone I look up, "oh shit, my bad Blade."

"You're good. Watch where your going next time," he chuckles.

"Oh shut up asshat," I roll my eyes smiling.

"Where's your three friends?"

"You mean Delilah, Kaylee and Darrius. Coming to meet me right now actually."

A few seconds later the three of them are next to me. "Hey Blade," Kaylee says.

"Hey," he says.

"We're all heading to get something to eat want to come?" Delilah asks.

"Um- sure," he shrugs looking to me.

"I have to run home and get my car first. Delilah picked me up this morning so-"

"You could just ride with me," Blade shrugs.

"Okay I guess."

We leave the school and I stare at the motorcycle. "How do you expect me to get on this thing?" I say as I look to him and back to the bike.

"Um- just climb onto it?"

"If you haven't noticed I'm five foot three and you're over six foot. So how in hell am I suppose to get on this?"

He laughs, "I'll get on and I'll grab your hand to help you ok?"

I roll my eyes, "fine."

He climbs onto the bike and he holds his hand out for me. I grab it causing a shiver to send down my body. I step onto the stamd things and try to climb over.

My first attempt failed, but I finally got it after a few tries.

"There you go!" He laughs as he sarcastically claps his hands.

"Fuck off."

"Take this and put it on ok?" He hands me the helmet. He starts the bike and I put the helmet on. "Hang onto me."

I wrap my arms around his waist and squeeze softly. He takes off and follows Delilah's car.

We reach the local burger place and Blafe helps me off the bike. "Thanks," I say as I pull the helmet off my head. I hand it to him and he hangs it on his handle bar.

"You're welcome."

Everyone was already inside. It took a minute to get here since I was scared.

We stand in silence, staring at each other. Our bodies almost touching. A shallow breath leaves my lips as he takes a step closer to me.

We both jump as Darrius says, "you guys coming?"

"Yeah, sorry," I shake my head and the three of us head insid.

Darrius sits next to me, forcing Blade to be a seat away from me. "What took you guys so long?" He asks.

"Oh, um- Madeleline doesn't know how to get on a motorcycle," Blade laughs.

"I do to! I'm just short!"

"You still don't know how to get on it. Only took you like four tries," he laughs again.

"Fuck off. You're a giant so it's easy for you!" I laugh and look over to him.

"Well, let's order yeah?" Darrius cuts in.

We all order as the waitress comes over. The food comes fairly quickly and eat in a comfortable silence.

As we're leaving Darrius asks, "can I talk to you Mads?"

"Uh- sure yeah. What's up D?"

We step the the side and he says, "I don't think you should hang out with Blade."

"What? Why?" I'm confused. What's wrong with Blade? Why is Darrius concerned about it?

"Because he's weird. I don't like him."

"Darrius, we're all weird. We're all outcasts at the school." I shake my head and say, "what is the real reason?"

"I don't like him. He isn't one of us. He just got here and he seems off."

"He doesn't have to be one of us to be our friend. And who cares if he just got here. He deserves friends even if we're weird." I shrug, "he doesn't seem any less off than the rest of us."

"Madeleine. He isn't one of us. If he is going to be hanging out with us then I'm not."

I roll my eyes, "Darrius, don't be ridiculous."

"Nah man. Nah. I'm not bring ridiculous. He likes you, I can see it. I like you and he's not gonna ruin my chance!" He yells.

"What?"

"Just fucking forget it Madeleline!" He yells again.

"Darrius, what're you talking about?"

"I like you, but forget it. Fuck you guys!"

He walks away and gets into his car, speeding off. I stand there confused and in shock.

Delilah and Kaylee come over and ask, "what the fuck was that?"

"I- I don't really know Del!"

Blade walks over and stares at me. Kaylee asks, "he likes you?"

"I guess. I don't like D like that. He's our best friend, I never thought about him as anything else."

"I mean it explains why he complements you all the time and doesn't want us to do anything without him I guess."

"I guess." I shrug, "Do you guys wanna hang out tonight? At my house?"

They all say sure and we head to my house. Sitting watching tv all of us on my bed.

I'm still slightly shocked and I feel like I'm in a haze. Like it might not have happened and I imagined it? It felt too weird to be true.

I lay my head on Blade's shoulder and sigh. He snakes his arm around me and rubs his thumb against my hip.