10

Note: Trigger warning.

● AUTHOR'S POV

He tightly wrapped one arm around her and pushed her head down using the other.

Before she could ask anything or comprehend what was happening, the driver fell down with a loud thud.

"Close your eyes, it might get just a tad bit loud in here." Xanthos said in a calm tone, whispering the last words as his hand, previously covering Ava's head, slowly moved down and he pulled out a gold-plated gun from what looked like a small compartment underneath his seat.

Ava's heart started thumping loudly in her chest, cold sweats breaking out and shivers running through her spine like a current that kept surging through her skin. Her hands began turning clammy, as fear started paralysing her previously calm manner.

"Are we u-under attack?" her lips trembled as she questioned the obvious.

"That's what they think." Xanthos stated as his left hand, that carried the wrist watch on it, came upto his mouth.

"Keep him alive." Xanthos spoke into it, and the sudden severity of his aura permeated the air.

Ava tightly gripped onto Xanthos' shirt, when she felt him shift, as if preparing to leave the car. "Don't die." Ava blurted out, she felt how awfully familiar the whole scenario was, and how it didn't end well the very first time something like this had occurred.

"I won't." Xanthos assured thinking how odd it was for her to say something like this, he saw fear lurking in her dark eyes, it wasn't something she had said solely out of concern for him, she said it out of fear, fear of reliving something dreadful again.

"Ah!" Ava felt something needlelike prick her neck, and she quickly raised her hand to cover the area that felt the sharp sting.

She looked at Xanthos worriedly and a questioning gaze fixed on her face, as to what had just happened?

"You're going to be just fine Ava." Xanthos comforted her, as he supported her body with his arms wrapped around it.

Ava felt her senses dull and a drowsiness seeping into her veins, a tingling sensation spread through her body, especially her limbs. She felt light, and her body was now completely at the mercy of Xanthos' assistance. Her breathing hitched and her lungs struggled respiring properly.

"I'll be back before you even know it." Xanthos whispered closing in on her ear, she tried keeping her grip fixed on his shirt, but her senses were giving up on her, if it wasn't for Xanthos' firm grasp holding her steady, she would have her limbs flailing around.

As she got closer to losing her consciousness, her vision blurred into darkness, and finally her eyes closed as she drifted off into an unsought slumber.

Xanthos gently adjusted her body in a comfortable position, and sparing her one last glance, he cocked the gun.

---

The grey cemented walls covered the room on all four sides, the air filled with sounds of heavy breathing that kept coming and coming, almost sounding like a broken record at this point.

"Y-you can break my bone-s, but y-y.... ugh... you'll never get what y-you're looking for." the man tied up in a brown wooden chair spat in agony, as the warm liquid oozing out of his head now came all the way down to his eyes.

Bruised lips and discoloured shadows stained his face, he turned his head sideways to spit out the claret coloured liquid, that had accumulated in his mouth.

The tattoo covering his neck, had borne a dark shade of red being soiled by his blood; the warm liquid that now covered half of his face and neck, dried up at places and wet at some, reaching down to his once spotless, white shirt.