15

● AUTHOR'S POV

"But there's nothing to worry about, because this is the part where my 'help' comes in." Ava said smiling brightly, and kept her eyes fixed on Xanthos.

"Which is?" after keeping his calm and listening carefully to whatever Ava had to say, Xanthos finally questioned with an amused look in his eyes, as it appeared he was witnessing something he hadn't seen in a long time.

"You pay off all my father's debt down to the last penny, and in return, I'll forget all that happened today." Ava stated firmly and kept her eyes locked on him.

After a moment's silence, a loud laugh erupted from Xanthos' throat and he shook his head sideways, as if he had just heard something unexpected, which wouldn't be entirely incorrect.

"So, you're basically blackmailing me, into paying your father's entire debt off?" Xanthos questioned as he looked at Ava, the smile never leaving his face.

"Not at all. I'm not blackmailing you." Ava responded as her tone got serious and so did her expressions. "I'm putting my faith in you." she answered, whilst her eyes kept hold of Xanthos'.

The smile got wiped off of Xanthos' face, and was replaced by a questioning look.

For the first time, he didn't know what Ava was getting at, he had been able to read her a number of times before, but right now, all he could decipher from her words was nothing but, an utter void.

Judging Xanthos' genuine confusion for the first time, Ava continued, "You told me, that I was under your protection, and one needs to put their faith in the one protecting them, I assume. All that happened to me, happened while I was still under 'your protection'. Shouldn't I be compensated in some way? Shouldn't I be given a reason to think that those weren't just words, and that Xanthos Aldine actually stands by what he says?"

Xanthos' expressions didn't shift, he kept his attention on her and it gave Ava a little ray of hope.

"I'll depend on you and your offered protection, if you 'help' me in doing so. And, I'm willing to help in return, help you still be the man who stands by what he says, by forgetting all that happened and move on, so that you don't feel like you couldn't keep your word." Ava said hitting the bullseye as she realized, if not the war, she still did conquer this battle.

"I could never blackmail you, that's close to impossible. I can't prove anything since I can't leave to wander about the city on my own will, so no chances of any blood tests. I can't prove if there were any ill intentions involved. I can't prove you were the one to sedate me or one of your men, heck even the fact that it was an unapproved in-progress drug. You're a big man Xanthos, you've got contacts, you've got resources. Blackmailing was never an option. I'm simply relying on what you offered me and also on the fact; that you're not an 'entirely' awful man." Ava reasoned and Xanthos closed his eyes heaving a deep sigh.

"I wouldn't be surprised, if you told me you were a consistent debater." Xanthos commented and Ava shrugged her shoulders in response.

~~~~~ 2 weeks later ~~~~~

Kiara's engagement preparations had been going on for more than a week now, and finally the big day was here.

The ceremony was to be held at the Griffin mansion; which was her fiancé, Theodore Griffin's parents' home, and The Griffins were one of the big names in Samwill along with The Aldines.

Xanthos had arrived at the place a little earlier than the initiation of the ceremony, and after greeting his sister's in-laws, he made his way upto the room he was told his sister was getting dolled up in.

Before Xanthos could knock at the door, it opened revealing a short highted girl, dressed in a white robe, her hair styled into a chic low bun, and a white glitter bottle in hand, she looked at Xanthos as she sipped on her drink.