Chapter 4

Y/ns POV

"The house is in danger! It's in danger!!" The band has stopped playing now. Abuela walks toward her, her face twisted into one of concern.

Mirabel continues to talk, a bit out of breath. "The tiles were falling and there were cracks everywhere and, and the candle almost went out."

Camilo and I look at each other. This couldn't be happening, could it? The candle can't go out. It's the miracle. Everyone starts to murmur to each other. Abuela takes a deep breath.

"Show me."

Mirabel leads us all to the courtyard. It looks normal. There were no broken tiles or cracks anywhere. It was fine. I looked at the candle and it shone brightly. Everything was perfect.

Mirabel spins, looking at everything. She visibly starts to panic.

"What? No, that's --- the cracks were there, they were... everywhere. The house was in trouble, the, the candle was."

Isabela scoffs as Abuela starts to look embarrassed and maybe disappointed. I swallow and gently grab Camilo's hand. Mirabel turns to abuela, desperate now.

"Abuela, I swear I-"

Abuela holds up a hand, stopping Mirabel. "That's enough."

I feel Camilo squeeze my hand. Nervous whispers start to build up again. I would hate to be Delores right now. Oh god, Dolores! I start to look around, keeping my grip on Camilo's hand. I spot her up the stairs by her father, she focused on different people as the whispers filtered through her ears.

I lightly hum and she looks at me. I raise my eyebrow at her. I can feel Camilo's stare on me now but I ignore him. I have to make sure my best friend is okay. Dolores takes a deep breath and nods softly.

I relax slightly as Abuela turns to the crowd. She has an air of confidence around her. Nothing new with that.

"There is nothing wrong with La Casa Madrigal. The magic is strong!" She stops for a second before adding, "and so are the drinks! Please – music! A bailar, a bailar!"

Luisa brings a piano to her father and he plays a short tune, starting the band off. The music picks up. I see Isabela scoff again. Mirabel stays still as everyone filters back into Antonio's room.

I go to walk to her but Camilo stops me. He shakes his head.

"Let tia handle it." He softly spoke as he squeezed my hand as reassurance. I'd forgotten about that. I feel a bit of heat enter my cheeks.
I nod and he leads me inside Antonios room. I don't really feel like dancing anymore though. I wanna go back to Dolores, make sure she really is alright. Sometimes she can get overwhelmed.

I clear my throat and Camilo stops, giving me his full attention. Not scary at all.

"I'm gonna go find Dolores." I gulp as he nods again, his curls lightly bouncing with the movement.

I let go of his hand, missing the warmth immediately. Closing my eyes, I concentrate on Dolores. I feel the familiar tingling and the light shines through my eyelids. I open them and meet Dolores's somewhat startled look.

She relaxes easily, however, used to my sudden appearances. She fiddled with her earring. It was a nervous tick she picked up over the years. I smiled at her.

"How are you feeling. Things got a bit hectic, more so than usual."

We both quickly laugh at that.

She speaks softly as usual, "It wasn't too bad. There was a lot but it was better than the loud music." She cheekily grins.