16 | to date a caveman - flynn

Flynn

WHEN DAD USED to teach me how to swim and I'd get scared because a lake was different from a child's pool, he'd say, "Relax. Breathe and even though I can't come in with you, I'll be waiting for you when you resurface."

I was four and scared shitless, but I'd go in anyway because even if I did well or not, he'd be wheeling towards the bank of the lake and winking at me while doing the okay sign with his fingers.

That kept me going until it didn't anymore.

Now, as I stare at the pool and the students trying out for the team, I'm not in the best of moods and it's either one out of three reasons or all three. One, I have no idea why Coach called me here and told me to wait while the students try out because all I want to do is get the fuck out of here before I do something absolutely ridiculous, like crying or loosing my shit. Two, I want to understand why a certain girl hasn't texted me back and explained why where I am is perfect. Three, as cheesy as it sounds, I really need someone to hug the fuck out of me.

From my peripheral vision, I see Josephine opening the door to the arena with fuck face walking behind her. He's messing with her again, I'm sure and she's not comfortable in the least but she shrugs away from him and leans back. I remain rooted in the spot and look away from her when I realize I'm staring. If she spots me staring, she'll walk over with that annoying frown on her face and ask me why I was staring. Then I'd have no answer. Besides, she handles it well. She always does. Unlike me.

I hear her footsteps behind me and pretend not to while staring at the pool. She's right behind me now and that citrus smelling shampoo she always uses reaches my nose. She's hesitating and then she takes me off guard when she wraps her long, slender arms around my torso and rests her head on my shoulder.

Jesus Christ. Every inch of my body tenses involuntary and I close my eyes for a second before sliding my hands down her arms and watching those little hairs on her skin rise and break out into goosebumps before interlocking my fingers with hers. I had no idea her skin was incredibly soft. How is it this soft?

I turn my head to the side and ask, "Is this your count me in?"

"Mhm," she mumbles and I turn around and trap her legs between mine. I turn to the side, because I can't help it, and see Johnston watching us. He looks like he's about to combust.

Surprise, surprise, motherfucker.

I turn back to the girl in front of me and watch her look up at my face. She's wearing a little dress with some flowery things on it and most of her legs are on display. She's way taller than most of the girls in our grade so her legs pretty much run for miles. She's done her hair again in the same way she did it the day after I teasingly asked her if she was having a bad hair day. I didn't mean that then. It was just fun to pull her legs. Still is. All in all, she looks good but I'm obviously not going to tell her that.

I tuck a rogue strand of hair behind her ear. "What did you do today?"

She scrunches her nose. "Ew."

I smile. I knew it. She doesn't have one romantic bone in her body. I really don't know how this is going to work.

"Obviously, I learnt. That's what you go to school for. Besides, Craig was bothering me today in class. He asked me to spend the night with him. As if."