42 | girls night

Jo

I'M BEGINNING TO regret agreeing to girls night because, one, I can't concentrate on the movie no matter how hard I try and there's a limit to how much ice cream I can stuff into my non-existent pancreatic stomach. And two, Cass's screams are louder than a fire alarm at midnight.

The lights in the living room are turned off for special effect with the only source of light being the dull glow from the kitchen. Cass, Amanda and I are snuggled under three layers of blankets because it's freezing outside and occasionally King struts over to join us but each time Cass screams, he scampers away. When I look back at the TV and see what will look like a jump scare approaching, I slap a hand over her mouth and of course, she screams in it.

"Cass," Amanda groans, rolling her eyes playfully even though her right knee has been bouncing since the movie started. "It's not that scary. Jeez."

"Sorry," Cass apologizes, shutting her eyes. "There's just so much blood."

"Again, if you wake my grandma, you're dead."

They both laugh and hopefully that chases some of her fear away. I stare at the empty popcorn bowl and then I grab it and get to my feet. "I'll go make some more popcorn. I'll be right back."

Heavy footsteps pound the stairs while I rip off the bag of corn and a shirtless Drew comes into my line of vision. He's holding a small bottle of alcohol to his lips and he's staring at my hands going into the microwave.

"You can't go somewhere without announcing your presence." I say referring to his feet. He shrugs and takes the bottle away from his mouth.

I look at his chest and grimace. "Go put on a shirt or something. My friends are right in the living room."

He walks over to the fridge and pulls it open. "Do I look like I care?"

I sigh because I know better than to argue with him. "How long have you been drinking for?"

"Not in the mood for questionnaires, Jo."

I snatch the bottle from his hand and pour the remaining contents into the sink. "Your breath reeks of alcohol. You think drinking everyday is healthy?"

He doesn't look bothered at all. "Go ahead. Tell mum. I hope she gives you a pat on the head for a job well done."

I glare at him. "You're so annoying."

"Yeah, so are you and your friends that just won't shut the fuck up."

"That would be me. Sorry." A meek voice says and we both turn around at the same time to see Cass hanging around the kitchen island. She looks like she has just been scolded and suddenly I want to hit Drew on the head.

"Sorry," she apologizes again and turns to me. "I just wanted to know if the popcorn was ready or not. Looks like it is."

I sigh and run my hands down my face before handing her a filled bowl and telling her I'll join them in a few minutes.

I nudge Drew on his shoulder with my palm and he reluctantly drags his gaze from her retreating form to my face. "Look at what you did."

He shuts the fridge and grabs the second bowl of popcorn on my hands before opening the cabinet and spraying an obscene amount of whipped cream on it. "Why are they here anyway? You never have friends over."