𝘮𝘪𝘳𝘢𝘤𝘭𝘦 𝘰𝘯 34𝘵𝘩 𝘴𝘵𝘳𝘦𝘦𝘵

ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅ઇଓ

the living room floor was a graveyard of torn-up wrapping paper. if you tried to walk, you'd probably get a paper cut. that's why you were staying right where you were- on the couch, and next to matt.

     it's been hours since everybody opened their presents. there were gifts all over the chairs and floor, and the television had blown through at least four christmas movies worth of background noise. the late morning sky had deepened into a dark afternoon one, the violet color seeping through the windows and making the christmas tree seem to glow twice as bright. nick and chris were passed out on the couch, both stuffed in brand new pairs of pajama pants and sweatshirts; trevor was asleep at your feet, snuggling up to a new rawhide bone and snoring happily; and matt was right beside you, eyes half-closed.
     the boy was donning the new sweater you bought him- it was a brown knit cardigan, with tortoiseshell buttons. it was a little nerdy when you first saw it, but for some reason, you could envision him wearing it and looking adorably cozy, so you took the chance. and as luck would have it, matt loved it. he said he'd always wanted one like it. whether or not he was a fantastic actor and just faking it for you, you didn't care, because he slipped it right on and hasn't taken it off since.
     you were stuffed in the new silky pajama set that matt had given you and wearing the corny pair of dinosaur slippers he so excitedly handed to you as your first gift. you saw them in a store months ago, and the boy said he went back and bought them and has been holding onto them since the summer. your heart felt as if it might burst like a balloon, and you nearly tackled him to the floor in your rush to hug him. the boy you loved had gone all out for you this year, buying you earrings and a big knitted blanket and a pile of books you'd had your eye on; he even remembered how badly you wanted a new pair of doc martens, and got you a special edition pair. you'd never felt so spoiled in your life and nearly burst into tears, saying over and over how he never had to buy you so many things and you would've been happy with just his company. but the both of you knew matt had no self-control, and when he said "you deserve a good christmas, and i wanna give that to you," it was clear that there would've been no way to stop him. so, you reveled in the spoils, and let him treat you like the most special girl in the entire world. he always made you feel that way.

     you were nestled into his chest, arms wrapped tightly around his waist, and matt held you close in the curve of his torso. the two of you had barely moved since you got comfortable after the present opening session ended in the morning. you watched miracle on 34th street from the cushion his chest provided, and welcomed the little circles that your boyfriend traced up and down the side of your arm.

     "i've never had such a good christmas," you admitted. it was the first time you'd spoken in god knows how long, so your voice was hoarse as ever. "i could never thank you enough."

     "i haven't either. all my gifts are awesome, and you're here. that's all i could ever ask for."

     you craned your neck upwards to look at him, feeling your bones turn into jello as you found him sleepy and smiling. even through the bed head and disheveled appearance, he never failed to be the most handsome boy you'd ever seen. it was hard to believe you had him so close sometimes.

     "you really like that sweater?" you smirked.

     "i love this sweater. it's perfect."

     "i'm so glad."

     matt pressed a soft kiss to your hairline, rubbing your arm reassuringly. "look, look!" he hushed you, "they're about to see their new house!"

     you redirected your attention to the television, where you and matt watched the scene you'd seen so many times before. you watched little susan run around the empty house, ecstatic that her companion kris kringle had finally given her the home she's asked so adamantly for, and you enjoyed it just as much as you did the first time.
matt watched too, and his eyes were completely encapsulated, intent on seeing every last second of the movie. you adored the way he loved christmas. he was just a big little kid, and that was one of the things you loved most, if it was even possible to pick. you loved everything about him.

the christmas tree was gleaming in the corner of the living room, and the sky was finally growing cold and dark outside the window. but it was warm inside, and it was warm with matt, so you had no worries. you'd never had a christmas like this, and you hoped every single one would be just the same for the rest of your life. you never wanted another present as long as you lived, as long as matt wanted to watch old christmas movies and stay right next to you.

you decided to let him finish the movie before you bothered him any further. you just burrowed deeper into his hold, feeling the butterflies in your stomach flutter wildly as he tugged you impossibly closer and rested his chin atop your head.

as fred gailey noticed the cane that belonged to kris kringle in the corner of the empty house, matt mumbled into your hair. you were lucky you were listening, otherwise you might not have caught what he said.

"one day i'll buy you a house like that." he stated.

"matt-"

"and i'll bring you to it on christmas day, too. it'll be sick."

"you're an idiot." you blushed, hiding your face in his sweater.

"you're an idiot, too," matt joked, "shut up. you know i can't help it. i love you."

"and i love you right back!"

through a stifled laugh, the boy said, "merry christmas, love."

sitting there and hearing him make sappy promises just to see you smile... that was when you knew that no christmas would ever top this one.
nothing in the world could.

"merry christmas, matt."

"i will buy you that house. no joke."

"just shut up and watch the movie, matt!"

ॱ⋅.˳˳.⋅˙ॱᐧ.˳˳.⋅ઇଓ

i seem to be finding a lot of
inspiration in these little holiday
pieces so sorry for the excess lmao!
taking advantage of wanting to
write!! plus, it's christmas today!
so here is a short(ish) one for you.
hopefully it brings you some
comfort today.

i hope everyone had a nice
holiday- and if you didn't, you
will soon. my love is with everyone
today. please reach out if you
need anything at all.

merry christmas my loves,
and i'm sure there will be
more seasonal writings to come
as we head for the new year!! <3

- somethingheavenknows.