3 | scary stories

I wake up in a cozy nest of pillows and blankets, my body stiff from sleeping on the floor

Half-asleep and disorientated, I scan the room and notice that Violet is missing. A pang of worry shoots through me until I hear the tap running in the bathroom. She emerges moments later, her long dark brownish-black hair tied into two braids.

Unsurprisingly, Astrid still hasn't woken up. She could probably sleep through an earthquake if she wanted to.

Picking up my phone, I read the numbers displayed on the screen. 10:30. We're not supposed to bring our phones, but most of the older kids do anyway. I groan as my stomach grumbles reminding me that we've missed breakfast.

"Should we wake her up?" Violet whispers, motioning to Astrid's sleeping body. I nod. She takes the gentle approach, whispering her name and gently shaking her, whereas I pull back Astrid's covers and shake her.

"Astrid, wake up!"

"Leave me alone." She complains, attempting to pull the covers back up. But I don't let her. Even though I would like nothing better than to get back into bed, we need to find out the full story of what happened last night.

God. It was terrifying. I was laughing and racing Wes one minute, and the next we were standing over a skeleton.

Eventually Astrid groans and sits up, wiping the sleep from her eyes. "What time is it?" She asks.

"10:30." I respond. She looks at me in horror.

"We've missed breakfast." She says. Having already felt the shock, I nod.

"They usually have some leftovers; we could go and look?" Violet suggests. Always the logical one. We all get up and change into fresh clothes, after realising we fell asleep in last night's outfits. When we're all ready, I yank open the door leading outside.

I glance across the path to the boys cabin and see them coming out at the same time as us. We meet them in the middle, all six of us exchanging glances and thinking the same thing. What the fuck happened last night?

I grab a plate and begin piling it with various foods, not bothering to wait for the others. As I sit down at our designated table, Wes joins me, placing a plate also piled high with food on the table in front of him across from me.

"You alright Harp?" He asks, placing a comforting hand on top of mine.

I nod. "I think so, you?"

He nods and we sit in a comfortable silence, usually rare for us. 

The others eventually join us. We sit in more silence, the weight of the previous night's events pressing down on us. Astrid is the first person to speak up.

"Are we going to talk about it?" she asks, her voice barely above a whisper.

I look around the table waiting for someone to say something. but everyone remains quiet.