10 | criminal activities

"Wes, stop laughing and come and help me!" I yelp, trying to wiggle my legs free from the tangled volleyball nets

"Wes, stop laughing and come and help me!" I yelp, trying to wiggle my legs free from the tangled volleyball nets. Across the room Wes is doubled over in a fit of laughter.

"Seriously, it's not funny!" I whine, shooting him a glare, while simultaneously trying to contain my laughter. 

"You alright Harp? You look like you've got yourself in a bit of tangle there," he taunts, chuckling again.

"Very funny Wesley, now quit laughing at me and come and help me instead." He straightens up, still grinning, and finally comes over to help me. With his assistance, I manage to untangle my legs from the nets and stand up, brushing the dirt off my clothes.

I step back slightly, unknowingly stepping back onto the nets again. I stumble forwards, straight into Wes. "Careful there, Harps, we don't want you ending up on the floor again."

As I regain my balance, I lightly shove him away. "Oh please, as if you're any better at this than I am, you nearly fell to your death on the way down here."

"Okay then, let's split up and see who can find a clue first," he says scanning the room once more.

I nod. "Alright, but don't be too sad when I find one first."

He rolls his eyes, but I see the corners of his lips turn upwards. Not that I was staring at his mouth or anything.

"Dream on Sparky." He says, his face breaking into a full on smile.

I find my heart involuntarily fluttering at my nickname. It always happens when he calls me that.

At one point in sophomore year, people started calling me Sparky. I thought it was some sort of poor attempt at an insult until Astrid finally told me that people were calling me that because they thought they saw sparks fly from my legs when I swam. At the time, pride had surged through me. I wasn't used to compliments like that, and to have most of the school calling me that? Well, lets just say it boosted my confidence a little too much.

I spin around and start to search through all the boxes of random sports equipment. From basketballs to flippers, and footballs to badminton rackets, the whole shed is a complete mess. I wonder to myself how we are ever going to find anything in here.

There's a silent competition between us. Who will finish searching first? Who will find the clue Luckily it helps to get my mind off of what we're actually doing. Which just so happens to be trying to solve a murder.

Somehow, we make it through searching the whole sports shed without speaking. We also don't find any clues.

I huff in frustration at the realisation, and step outside into the cool morning air. I glance up at the tall trees towering above me, and breathe in deeply. It instantly calms me, and helps me regain my focus.

"Harper?" Wes, calls from inside the dark and dusty building.

"Yeah?" I yell back.

"Come back in here."