5 | nothing to worry about

Later that night, I find myself drawn to Astrid's desk, my gaze fixated on the journal resting atop it

Later that night, I find myself drawn to Astrid's desk, my gaze fixated on the journal resting atop it. It seems to call out to me, its worn cover whispering of untold stories and hidden secrets nestled within its pages. 

My friends are both asleep and we have agreed to read the journal together, and I can't betray that trust, no matter how curious I am. 

We decided not to hand it into the police, much to my dismay. My friends have somehow managed to convince me to go along with another one of their crazy plans, as they always do. But as much as I want to know the truth about what happened to Bailey, I also don't want to be arrested. 

Every year, before we arrive, we set goals for the summer, sort of like a bucket list. This summer Harper and Astrid have challenged me to try 3 new things, a daunting task for someone like me who prefers to stay very much in my comfort zone. 

I guess I can already tick off my 3 new things:

1. found a dead body

2. got interviewed by the police

3. illegally kept evidence from a crime scene

I'm basically a fully fledged criminal now. Oh god. I can't believe I let myself get into this mess.

Fiddling nervously with the gold necklace around my neck, a habit I still can't seem to break, I sigh heavily, overwhelmed by the weight of the situation. 

With a heavy heart, I drift off to sleep, dreaming about the summer we could've had.

I wake to the blaring of a horn, its sound cutting through the morning haze. Rubbing sleep from my eyes, I glance over at Harper and Astrid, still asleep, their peaceful faces illuminated by the soft morning light filtering through the cabin window.

Pulling back the blinds, I catch sight of campers moving towards The Quad, a blaring signal that something was wrong. Panic prickled at the edges of my mind. We were only called to The Quad for emergencies or at the beginning and end of camp.

"Harper, Astrid, wake up," I urge, shaking them gently. Astrid stirs reluctantly, her sleepy mumbles barely audible.

"There's something happening in The Quad," I explain hurriedly, my heart involuntarily racing.

"Shit, do you know what it's about?" Harper asks, somehow already halfway dressed and her bed made in the time it took me to wake Astrid.

I shrug. "No idea."

We quickly make our way to The Quad, joining the throng of campers already gathered there. I spot Cameron on stage, flanked by staff members and police officers, his words being partially drowned out by the murmurs of the crowd.

"I'm sure you're all wondering why we've called you over here and disrupted your breakfast. Yes, tragic, I know." He says, eliciting a few laughs from the crowd. "Unfortunately, there has been an incident, which I'm sure most of you have heard about by now. If you haven't, well that's exactly what this announcement is for. Two days ago a body was found in the lake." He says, stopping so that everyone's reactions can be heard. Loud chatter and gasps break out and even a few cries.