Takes One, To Know One

Chapter Seven:

Takes One, To Know One

"The truth? I like you. A lot. You make me happy. You make me laugh. You're smart. You're different. You're a little crazy, and awkward, and your smile alone can make my day."

Maya Granger

"What are you doing?" Lincoln hissed as we walked behind Taylor and Ryder.

After breaking free from the crowed we had created, the four of us headed out to our vehicles to go over to the library, while Sakura and Ashton went to Sakura's house to work since they were partners. Taylor and Ryder discussed what they would do, while Lincoln was looking to me rather nervously. He didn't look as mad as I thought he would be.

"I am merely doing you a favor," I replied in the same hushed tone he used.

"Maya..." he groaned, obviously distressed.

"Lincoln..." I copied. "Look, I'll only give you opportunities to ask her out. And if after this whole project is over you still can't ask her out...then, I won't bother you any more."

He studied me for a second, then sighed dejectedly. "Fine. And after this, no more?"

"No more." I nodded.

He nodded back, and we fell silent after that.

***

Since both Lincoln and Taylor have their own vehicles, they rode sepreately. However, since I didn't have a car yet, I rode with Ryder again.

Fall Out Boy's Centuries played in the background, and I hummed along, while Ryder tapped the steering wheel with his fingers to the beat of the drums. I watched how precise they dropped, like he knew exactly when the beat starts and stops.

"You seem to know what you're doing," I nodded towards his fingers.

Ryder gave me a side-ways grin. "Yeah...I used to play the drums back in elementary."

"Used?"

"I sort of drifted from it ever since middle-school." He shrugged.

"Is there anything you can't do?"

"Ride a bicycle, or motorbike." He answered, and my eyes widened at the revelation.

"Are you serious?"

He chuckled at my baffled expression. "Yes, I'm serious. I never learned how to balance on a bike. And after getting into an accident while still learning, that resulted in a broken arm, I never got on one ever again."

"Wow...that's kind of...unexpected." I crossed my arms at my chest. "So, does this mean you're afraid of balancing?"

"Not really," he stopped at a red light, "I'm pretty good on the skateboard."

"Of course you are," I let out a short chuckle, shaking my head in a mix of wonder and amusement.

Silence followed, and this lasted a few seconds until Ryder broke it. "You know...I never asked what your hobby is."

"Studying."

"Aside from that," he gave me a deadpanned look.

I pursed my lips together, then answered, "Taking pictures, I guess."

"You guess?"

"Well, I like capturing fleeting moments, and editing photos...so, I guess." I shrugged.

"So your hobby's photography, then." He noted.

"Not really photography." He gave me a confused look, and I explained, "The only camera I have ever taken hold of is the family camera. And my phone doesn't take all that good pictures."