CHAPTER 18

"Love yourself first and everything else falls into line. You really have to love yourself to get anything done in this world." - Lucille Ball

Piero Antonio POV 

As I revealed the news of having a granddaughter, the line fell silent for a moment, and I could sense the confusion and surprise on my mother's end. I imagined her turning to my father, discussing the unexpected revelation.

"What granddaughter?" Her voice held a mixture of confusion and anger. "I don't have anything from all of you. Did you impregnate a girl?" Her words carried a sharp edge, fueled by her bewilderment.

"No, Mama, it's not like that," I quickly responded, trying to clarify the situation. "The child is mine and Natalie's daughter. It seems she kept it a secret from me."

A moment passed, and I could hear my father's voice in the background, clearly curious about the conversation taking place. My mother's voice came back, filled with a mix of excitement and authority.

"We will book a flight tomorrow and come to see her," she declared, her tone both stern and thrilled. "When we arrive, you need to tell me everything that has happened. Theo, we finally have a little girl in our family!" I heard her call out to my father, sharing the news with him.

In the background, I heard my father's voice, muffled and bewildered. The news had clearly caught them both off guard, but my mother's excitement began to overpower any initial confusion.

I took a deep breath, gathering myself as my mother continued speaking. "Also, Mama, please inform Benjamin and his family about the news. Lorenzo is here with me, and he just found out as well," I explained, trying to keep everyone in the loop.

"If Lorenzo hadn't visited you, we wouldn't have known about this!" Her stern voice scolded me, expressing a mix of concern and disappointment. I immediately apologized, explaining that I had been preoccupied with preparing the living environment for my daughter.

As our conversation continued, a whirlwind of emotions washed over me. The prospect of my parents finally meeting their granddaughter brought a surge of both joy and anxiety.

As I abruptly ended the phone call with my mother, a sudden and piercing scream echoed through the air, instantly catching my attention. Fear gripped my heart as I realized that the voice belonged to Belle, my daughter.

Without hesitation, I hastily made my way out of my office, my mind racing with worry. As I reached the hallway, I spotted my sons, who seemed equally alarmed by the commotion. Desperate to understand what was happening, I turned to them, urgently seeking answers.

"Who's with Belle?" I asked, my voice filled with concern. Their silence only heightened my anxiety, indicating that none of them were accompanying her. Time seemed to stand still as we exchanged worried glances, unified in our determination to find her and ensure her safety.

Rushing down the stairs, our feet pounding against the floor, we hurried towards the garden, following the source of Belle's cries. Panic consumed me as I imagined the worst scenarios, praying that she was unharmed.

And then, there it was—a heart-wrenching sight that made my blood run cold. In the garden, I saw Bullet, our loyal Great Dane, and Blaze, our powerful Cane Corso, surrounding Belle. They were sniffing at her, their curiosity mixed with a playful energy that could easily overwhelm a young child.

My heart leaped into my throat as I witnessed Belle trembling with fear, her tiny figure perched precariously on the edge of the pond. I knew that she was on the verge of tears, her innocent emotions threatening to overwhelm her fragile state of mind.