CHAPTER 22

"Family means no one gets left behind or forgotten." - David Ogden Stiers

Isla Isabelle POV

I woke up early in the morning, my eyes still heavy with sleep. As I slowly emerged from my cozy bed, I couldn't help but feel a rush of excitement. It was a brand new day, filled with endless possibilities and adventures. I reached for my favorite toys scattered on the floor, their vibrant colors and familiar shapes instantly bringing a smile to my face.

Suddenly, I heard a gentle knock on the door, and my heart skipped a beat. I watched eagerly as my papa made his way to answer it, his warm presence filling the room. The door creaked open, revealing a bright, sunlit world beyond. Papa's voice greeted the visitor, and curiosity tingled within me.

"Good morning, Vita mia. How did you sleep?" Papa's tender voice reached my ears, his eyes filled with genuine care.

"It's good, papa. I slept okay," I replied, beaming at him. "What about you? Did you have a good night's sleep too?"

A soft chuckle escaped his lips as he nodded. "Yes, Vita mia. I slept well too. Now, let's get you ready for the day, shall we?"

I eagerly accepted his offer, and he led me into the bathroom, the warm water cascading gently from the faucet. The sound of the running water was soothing, and Papa's gentle hands skillfully washed away the remnants of sleep from my face. I felt refreshed and invigorated, ready to embrace the day.

With the bath complete, I skipped to my wardrobe, filled with a sense of anticipation. Among the array of clothes, I spotted a cute little white dress, adorned with delicate pearl designs. It was my favorite, the one that made me feel like a princess. Papa assisted me in slipping into the dress, his eyes filled with pride as he fastened the buttons.

As I twirled in front of the mirror, my dress swirling around me, Papa gently gathered strands of my hair and secured them with colorful clips. The mirror reflected my excitement and happiness, and I couldn't wait to show off my new look to the world.

Hand in hand, Papa and I descended the stairs, the aroma of freshly brewed coffee wafting through the air. In the dining room, I caught sight of Bubba and Gelo, my older brothers, engrossed in conversation as they sipped their morning coffee. The room was filled with warmth and laughter, and it felt like a little haven of joy.

I glanced around, expecting to see my other brothers at the table, but they were nowhere to be found. They must still be lost in the embrace of slumber,

After Papa lovingly fed me bacon, eggs, and a colorful assortment of fruits, our bellies full and content, we made our way to the cozy living room. It had been a while since I last saw Papa preparing to go to work, and the prospect of spending the day with him filled me with joy.

As we settled on the plush couch, snuggling together under a soft blanket, the television flickered to life. Papa had chosen a delightful cartoon that never failed to bring smiles to our faces. The animated characters danced across the screen, their colorful adventures captivating our attention.

Lost in the world of imagination, I suddenly noticed my older brother, Gio, descending the stairs. He was dressed in his work attire, a serious expression adorning his face. He approached me with gentle care, his voice soothing yet laden with responsibility.

"Princepessa, today we need to go to the hospital for a follow-up check-up on your health," Gio informed me calmly, his eyes conveying both concern and reassurance.

My heart skipped a beat, fear gripping me tightly. Memories of the hospital flooded my mind, the sterile smells and unfamiliar faces evoking a sense of unease. The tears welled up in my eyes, and I mustered the courage to express my distress to Papa.