Chapter 26. What Love Cannot

"I thought I did well playing the violin, but the entire hall fell silent when she began tipping the piano. Heh, such is the power of the protagonist."

A pink camellia.

"Every single soul is simply helpless against her beauty and charm. Isabelle, are you listening?"

I subconsciously lifted my gaze to her, only to find Lady Camellia frowning upon my inattentiveness.

"You seem distrait." She raised a brow. "Do you still feel unwell? Retreat to your room if so."

She's acting like usual. It doesn't seem like the villainess is hiding anything from me. But then again, she's an inveterate liar. I've seen it myself.

That damn fortuneteller, planting a seed of doubt on me like this... Handing me a pink camellia out of nowhere, of course I'd freak out over my lady! She literally has the flower as her family name!

"Your bleary eyes are tiring me out as well," Lady Camellia waved her hand dismissively. "Get out of my sight. Talk to me once you've fully recovered."

I could only bow politely and comply. Right now, I don't have the heart to talk with her yet. I can't even look her in the eye. I feel wary around her.

I hurriedly left her chambers, my mind housing so many queries. The fortuneteller said that flowers would be the death of me, but she didn't say that they would betray me. Assuming that the flowers pertain to her... Will I die if I stick with my lady?

"And then there's the thing with Ingrid," I heaved out a deep sigh. "I swear I can't even take a break."

I wanted to calm my nerves, so I decided to come to that place which gives me solace: the garden.

A part of me was hoping to see the eastern princess, but she was nowhere to be found.

Come to think of it, she was also present during my encounter with the devil! Princess Himari was even hurt! How could I forget about that detail?!

I should check if she has any injuries from that night. If there's none, then perhaps it was truly just a dream or an illusion?

I was just about to leave the garden when I heard some leaves rustling from a distance. Curiously, I approached the spot and swiped through the flowers, only to find the little princess once again.

"Oh!" She was lying on the grass, her body covered with petals. "You're here again today, servant!"

If it were just a normal day, I would have felt soothed by her childish and innocent image.

However, with how the princess was covered in pink petals, a shot of worry pierced on my heart.

I can't believe flowers are giving me paranoia.

"We meet again, Princess Himari." I tried my best to sound blissful. "May I ask what you are up to?"

She spread her arms across the grass, like an angel flapping her wings. "I'm trying to cheer up, since I made a huge blunder during the selection. Hehe!"

Despite the bright smile on her face, I could see her pupils shaking in disappointment. In an instant, all my wariness melted into worry.

She was just a child, all alone in this place.

I occupied the space beside her. "Did you?"

"The strings of my violin snapped because I was too antsy during my performance." The princess grinned sheepishly. "It was so embarrassing."

I ran an eye over her. There wasn't even a single scratch on her body. Was that night truly just a nightmare messing with my sense of reality?

"How bad that must've been." I looked away from the princess. "Still, you did well, Your Highness."