Chapter 78: The Final Death

In contrast to the bleak horizons of the north, the entirety of the battlefield was turbulent, with blades clashing here and there and magic pervading through the snow-covered land.

There I was, slumped on the snow with the lifeless villainess in my arms. At that point, I didn't even have the heart to cry. I was just so tired and fed up of the novel taking away everything from me.

"Runa," I planted a soft kiss on her blood-soaked head. "See you in another story, my dear sister."

To me, it felt like death was no longer the end, but the beginning. When my sister breathed her last, a part of me was actually relieved that she wouldn't have to deal with this hellhole of a story anymore.

I could only hope that she'd be given another chance to live in a happier and safer world.

Please let my sister be happy, I shut my eyes.

"Look! The devil appears to be struggling!"

True enough, Lilith relapsed into a weakened state as soon as Ruth Alessia di Camellia killed herself. Her acrimonious cries filled the skies as the mages continued to contain her within the massive spell.

"Camellia!" Lilith roared, her whole body trembling. "You useless wench... Ugh!"

Since the contract between the devil and the villainess has been severed, I thought it'd be much easier to subdue her. Boy, I have never been so wrong. To our horror, Lilith ignited herself with scorching, purplish flames made of black mana.

"Everyone!" Haniel shouted in panic. "Run!"

I gasped when the devil casted a self-destructive spell, completely shattering the prison barrier surrounding her. A few seconds before Lilith exploded, I saw Haniel manifesting a barrier to protect himself, since he was the closest to Lilith.

"Kallen!" Ashen leaped towards me and pushed my body towards Servan, who then enclosed us within his defensive spell. Unfortunately, Ashen wasn't able to join us in time within the safe space.

I shot him a horrified look. "Ashen!"

"Well," He said succinctly with a smile. "See ya."

With that, Lilith's self-destructive move decimated the northern lands. I'm afraid not everyone could protect themselves from such a large-scale attack.

When the smoke cleared, the whole battlefield was devastated and everyone, may it be our allies or enemies, were indiscriminately turned into ashes. Only a few mages who were capable of casting defensive magic had survived the attack.

"Are you okay?!" Servan's voice rang in my ears.

"Ashen..." I muttered grimly when I couldn't see a trace of my friend. He was gone. Just like that, somebody dear to me was taken by the novel.

Meanwhile, in the center of the barren land, the unrecognizable body of Ingrid Nala Marchetti was burnt and laid down on the snow. All the survivors gathered around her cautiously, including Haniel and his adoptive father.

Sir Ion frowned. "Something feels amiss."

I have the same feeling, too. I don't think Lilith would've given up in destroying the empire just because her contract with Runa was severed.

"The devil isn't the type to surrender." Haniel pointed out. "I don't believe this is the end."

My face softened at the sight of him, battered up with bruises and scratches all over his body. He looks extremely tired from fighting Lilith alone.

"Yes. The way I see it, she tried to muster all the remaining magic she had but her host couldn't handle it." Sir Ion explained, referring to Lady Marchetti's body.