Chapter 22 - Lachlan

I stepped into my old bedroom, looking around at what is now a soft purple nursery, all ready for the little one arriving tomorrow.

I know it will be redecorated in a few months, once Sydney starts talking and shows her personality.

Debra has Kayla's old room, which now has a pink sparkled bed and dresser with matching walls.

Will has the old playroom, with black furniture in weird geometric shapes with math formulas written on three walls. The other is a floor-to-ceiling chalkboard with a sliding ladder so he can use the whole thing.

I'm told he is a math genius. Kayla is going to have to homeschool him because of it. She even sent an email of the formulas to put on the walls, so they are challenging for him to solve. Even Keith was baffled, and he was considered a math wiz.

Keith's old room is now the new playroom, with a wall of windows to let in the sunlight.

I sat in the rocker recliner and watched the rainfall from the small window, my mind drifting back to my past and all the nights spent in this room.

And all the nightmares.

About three months before my 15th birthday, they started. At first, I thought I was going crazy, but my wolf confirmed they weren't mine. My mate had come of age, and they were hers.

Her wolf was strong enough to seek out my wolf in distress. Over the next few years, I had many conversations with the Blood Alpha Sinclair, my Uncle Ben, about what I saw and why.

From what we could figure, her nightmares had degrees to them. At their lowest, I would feel nothing. I would sense it when they reached mid-range and could lend some comfort. But when they were at their worst, I would experience the dream too.

Because of this, I learned at a young age how sick some people could be.

My Uncle Ben explained how some adults like children in that unnatural way. The only thing that kept my sanity was that she never aged in the nightmares that were memories she was reliving.

What happened to her had stopped; she could go months without the horrifying dreams before they would start again. They could be nightly for a few days, then stop again.

Uncle Ben believed she was in a safe place but could be triggered occasionally.

After the revelation that she was a Mahani, I couldn't figure out how she could have been abused. The trip to the old library explained it.

My mate had been taken as a child and then recovered by the Mahani. She is safe now, but what they do triggers her occasionally.

It all makes sense now, well, all except one thing. How could she project her dreams and her wolf reach out to me?

Is this a Mahani power, or is she an Alpha? I looked through every book on the Mahani, and there is nothing on this.

If she's an Alpha, I would have to become a Mahani.

While Kayla hid in the kitchens or her room during inter-pack meetings, I was always in the thick of it, the second in command. How could I do my job if my shift is a dog and I am not predisposed to kill?

I would have to give up everything I've worked for to have my mate. My whole way of living. While part of me could easily do that, no one is trained better than me for this job. If I left, I would be putting my pack in danger.

While my wolf wants to protect her as much as I do, she is safe now. We are a little past the halfway point with the Mate bond. I know it will be a rough seven years, but if I focus on her being safe, I can get through it.

My wolf cries out as I feel tears prick my eyes. I desperately want my mate, but I can't put my pack in jeopardy to have her.

"Your wolf is calling out to mine."

I wiped the tears away before turning to my Blood Alpha.

"Sorry about that. He's unhappy."

"I'm sure he is. Since it's been six days since Blood Alpha Cooper was here, and you still haven't asked about your mate, I assume you don't want to meet her rather than reject her." Alex stated as he leaned against the door.

"She's got to be an Alpha, Alex. She has the power to send me her dreams. I would have to become a Mahani." I ran my hands over my face before continuing. "How can I protect all of you if my shift looks like a dog and I can't kill when we are attacked? How would I be able to keep it a secret, to keep her safe, when my shift changes? Everyone I meet will know."

Nothing was said for a minute or two.

"She is safe. I'll leave her where she is and comfort her when I can."

Alex knew about the dreams, as my Blood Alpha and my friend. My siblings didn't. My parents knew I had terrible dreams sometimes after coming into my wolf, but that's not uncommon. Uncle Ben knows, but he's off traveling abroad right now.

"You seemed to have decided already, but you can't be the first with this problem. I suggest talking with Blood Alpha Cooper. With five millennia of experiences to draw from, if there is a way around this, he would know it."

My wolf perked up and shone through my eyes. He wants his mate while protecting the pack, too.

"He will call to check on Nicolas and the children tomorrow. If you want, I can ask him for a meeting with us." Alex said softly.

It would cement my decision one way or another. My wolf is not fond of being in the Blood Alpha's presence again, but he wants answers.

"Make sure he knows I don't want a Mate Meet. I have questions about the safety of my pack and my mate."

I could see the wheels turning in his head.

"So do I."

*******

Secret revealed! I smell drama.
--April