Chapter 39 - Lachlan

My anxiety is high, and my wolf wants out, so I bring my chin down as far as it will go and breathe in my mate's scent. Her little bear is tucked into the front of my shirt, out of sight.

"Let's get this done," my Blood Alpha says as he opens the video call app. We are currently in our soundproof meeting room with the doors locked.

It takes a moment, but the call connects, and I see Blood Alpha Cooper sitting in a chair with bookcases behind him.

"Good day to you, Alex. How are you both doing?" Unlike most who say it from habit, he asks politely and wants an honest answer.

"A bit stressed. Can you tell me what conclusions you've made? I want to skip the small talk."

"Of course," the older wolf said. "We found a situation almost identical to yours from 40 years ago. What we did for them worked as far as we could tell." His face seemed to tell a different story, so Alex motioned him to continue.

"The Beta was older, 28, when she found her Mahani mate, so she had already picked a choice mate. That choice's response to losing the Beta became violent as resentment set in. Within a year, they were all dead."

Silence reigned as we digested that information.

"Can you tell us what happened?" Alex asked with a perplexed expression. A Blood Alpha should have been able to control that type of situation. It's not uncommon.

"When a Mahani is accepted as a mate, basic powers are available immediately through the mate bond, as you saw with Kayla. One of these is knowing when someone is lying and the scale of the lie. The Beta could tell when another Blood Alpha tried to pull a fast one at the first Inter-pack meeting after the Mate Meet. It caused a feud as pack leaders took sides.

"The choice mate was the head Alpha warrior. The pack knew the mate was a Mahani but not the Elemental part. The warrior was bullying the Mahani, which the Blood Alpha was controlling with expected results, but when war broke out, the Alpha warrior saw it as a way to get rid of the fated mate and get the Beta back as his choice mate.

"He met with the lying Blood Alpha and gave him information on how they knew of the lies and when they got supplies, with the understanding that the Blood Alpha would just kill the Mahani. But again, he lied. He caught one of the cooks, gave an Alpha command to add poison to everything that had sugar in the recipe, and worded it so the wolf and human parts would have no memory of ever doing it.

"About 18 wolves died, including the Mahani, Beta, and Blood Alpha, before it was figured out," he sighed.

"My Goddess. What happened to the Alpha warrior?" I asked with my head reeling.

"He went feral as his wolf blamed him for losing the Beta and his Blood Alpha, too."

My wolf agreed with the response. I could see that happening.

"The Beta did not change in appearance or temperament?" Alex asked, focusing on that aspect of the conversation.

"No. She was given a series of commands, ranging from whom she could take Alpha orders from to how much power she could pull through the mate bond and how she could use it. She never used the Elemental's power in public, and the only change of temperament was the normal mellowing that comes from having a mate."

My wolf was running in circles and giving joyous cries. This was what he wanted. But...

"Can you go into detail about these Alpha commands?" Alex said, reading my mind.

"First, he would be absolved of all previous commands. Then, he would be ordered only to accept those from a Mahani Blood Alpha. He would then be told that the only one who could absolve future commands would be one specific Blood Alpha, Wolfe Henon, or his successor. He is the leader of the Artic tribe. Since he rarely enters our territories, it lowers the possibility of him giving a command to absolve within Lachlan's hearing. All the other commands are based on his strength and ability to handle her powers. He could use them to save someone's life, but that's about it. He would be safe if she used hers as they would not affect him."

I watched my cousin as he ran his hands down his face.

"I would have no control over him. What if he went off because someone bumped into his mate? Especially with her being a Little, he would be overprotective."

"Your Alpha commands will ring through, and he will hear them for what they are. He will have to stop himself. As loyal as he is to you, I don't see that as a problem. She will also be able to calm him with a cry. All Littles have that ability."

"I understand and will need to think about this. How good is she at controlling her powers?"

"Excellent. She needed to prove she would never lose control to be able to go on missions." He said with pride.

"Blood Alpha Killian. What does he know?"

"As you know, he was there when the Elders took down her birth pack. He and his new Luna had spent time with each child rescued. They had fallen in love with her and asked to adopt her, but he was told she could not leave the Mahani for her own safety. He asked for updates over the years and was given those. It was obvious within days that she was a Little. He does not know she is an Elemental." Alex nodded at this information.

"I'm assuming Lachlan will spend time with you to get the commands and test his strength. How long will I be without a Beta?" Alex asked begrudgingly, obviously wanting to end this conversation.

"About 14 days, give or take."

"Thank you, Sam. We will contact you soon." Alex waited for a nod from Blood Alpha Cooper before disconnecting the call.

He leaned back in his chair before turning to me. I kept quiet, knowing what he needed, as all Betas should.

"I have no doubt you will follow my commands, so don't let that worry you. However, I'm not too fond of the result from the last time this happened," he scratched his head as he thought. "Several people within our pack already know she's an Elemental. We can't hide that," he flexed his fingers before putting them back on the table. "What concerns me most is the Elder's granddaughter, who has been chasing you for the last few years."

His faith in my ability to follow him without a command is staggering and makes my wolf proud. He preens while I consider his words.

"We need to find her mate. Has she ever reacted to anything that happened to him? Maybe the Mahani can find him, like they did for Kayla?" I thought out loud.

"Let's find out," Alex said as his eyes brightened. I heard his voice as I was included in the conversation. "Geddes, I need the medical file on Melissa Ethers. Keith, I need you in the meeting room."

*******

Please vote and comment! I would love the feedback. --April