Chapter 38 - Alex

Since I accidentally published the Epilogue, and then deleted it, here is a chapter to make up for my blunder. Sorry!

*******

I heard through the grapevine how the Mahani was now allowed within the Montross pack. The story of why they had been banished for so long was crazy. So much damage and lives were lost because of one man's anger. And all in the name of pride.

The one she-wolf in my pack who had rejected her mate had been seen by Leah the day before, and the Mate Meet this morning went off without a hitch. I decided to adopt Sam's attitude for future Mate Meets. He does make it look easier than it is, though.

According to the young woman's memories, she was alone, but I'm not satisfied that Sands would stop at one. He blamed Kayla as much as he blamed Evan. Hell, the bastard even attacked her Mate Meet. Why would he only put the command on one of my wolves? My hope is she was the only one he could catch. Our people rarely leave our little area and go to public human places. So far, he had caught each wolf in a human town. At least he was smart enough not to set foot on anyone's land.

As I look around the area outside the side door, which we use more than the front, my gaze stops at the tree Lachlan had been put under with his mate. I have a video meeting with Sam in an hour to discuss what can be done with those two. I know a plan is in place, but I also instinctively know I won't like it.

The sound of the door opening claims my attention as Nicolas and Lachlan come through, the latter carrying a brand-new tote with the blanket. I noticed a plaid through the transparent side and lifted an eyebrow at him.

"We were told to include something that could be carried around. What better than a piece of clothing?" His smirk caused me to have one of my own.

"Of course," was my answer as I turned to Nicolas. "Your scent changed. I assume she is also now marked?" His red face told me he wasn't expecting me to be so blunt.

"Yes." His answer was more of a squeak. I shook my head at him as his eyes lit up, telling whoever had the blanket on the other side to open the portal. I was sure he wanted to get away from us. I bet Lachlan had teased him, too.

I had made Nicolas an official member of my pack the day he moved in. Once Lachlan was passed out in his bed after Brian had knocked him out, I went over to their suites and inducted him into the pack with the standard bloody handshake. I gave a small scratch on each child's shoulder to put the pack smell on them and give them use of our mindlink. We usually only have a ceremony if they want it, and they didn't need it with the Mahani ceremony happening soon.

My attention was brought back when the portal opened, and I couldn't help but stare in shock. Doc, Lily, and, surprisingly, Grace--were on the other side. Even though I know, to my soul, that my cousin and Beta will never reject her, I am sticking to tradition and will not call her Grace out loud.

Luna Lily walked through the portal as Doc held her sister's hand, not letting her within a few feet of the opening. Grace was waving and turning a bit red.

"Here you are, my dear. Did you include something she could carry around?" the Luna asked as she took the new tote and handed him the other.

"I put a plaid in there that she can wear over her clothing." Lachlan may have made the statement to the Luna, but his eyes never left his mate.

"Wonderful. She included a small stuffed bear that you can put under the blanket at night and put in your pocket during the day." Her smile said she wasn't bothered by the lack of attention. "Thank you for allowing all this Blood Alpha," she said as she turned to me.

"It's not a problem. And please, call me Alex." I might as well, as they will be around more since we will have their youngest daughter living here if my Beta has any say in the matter.

"Thank you, Alex," she replied as she turned back to the portal. As Lily walked through, Grace quickly pulled away from Doc and stepped closer but stayed on their side.

"Hi." Her smile lit up her face, and I glanced back to Doc, who was blowing cold air onto her hand. I could see her breath in the air. She waved her other hand, and I could see ice forming around Grace's feet; I'm assuming to stop her from moving, but it was melting as fast as she could make it. The steam was climbing up her legs.

"Hi." Lachlan smiled back at her, seeming oblivious to the by-play.

"Bye," the little one waved as she said it. Lachlan waved back as the ring closed.

I turned to Nicolas. "Did she burn Doc's hand?" I said incredulously.

"Yup. They do that to each other all the time. Doc loves playing with her, but no one else can be around because they would get hurt." He said backhandedly, like this happens all the time.

I knew her element was fire, but I hadn't previously thought about it, considering everything else.

I was now.

"Is my castle in danger?" As Lachlan's head whipped toward me, I realized I shouldn't have said that out loud.

"She would never do that!"

There is the mate bond at its finest. I rolled my eyes and looked back to Nicolas.

"She has excellent control of her powers. She does have a fireproof dome that she uses if she's flustered or thinks she may have a nightmare. We can easily install one here." His answer seemed sincere and truthful. As her Gamma, he would know.

"Does she know when she will have nightmares?" I asked him, noticing Lachlan was as focused on his answer as I was.

"She has for the last four years that I have known her. It's usually something that happens while working that triggers them." I took his word for now, but it will be discussed during my conversation with Sam.

I have to ask him about Killian, too. I need to know what he knows since the Blood Alpha comes here for every Interpack meeting.

I'm getting a headache and haven't even had the video call yet.

*******

Poor Alex. And yes, I am introducing a new character. Killian will be involved in the story in later chapters.

--April