08.

"Let's start before the lift," the boy suggests, "When we're like this," he moves behind Madeline and extend his arm upward and hold her by her waist

"Let's start before the lift," the boy suggests, "When we're like this," he moves behind Madeline and extend his arm upward and hold her by her waist. She follow his movement and goes on pointe, staring at the ceiling through the pain stinging her head as she contemplated how she had got herself in this position.

He removed his arm from her and stepped back as she turned around and copied his moves. He nodded at her as she braced herself, leaping forward and around as he held her up on his shoulder and turning to dip her down into a fish dive as she moved along.

"Mr. Moore!"

The startling screech at the other end of the auditorium caught him off guard as he released her from the position and Madeline's chest was the first to hit the floor. Anais left her partner's side to meet her friend at the floor to pick her up.

"She's a swan not a cannonball," Ms. Dupont's comes strutting towards the center of the auditorium staring at her nephew, she glances down at me before returning her gaze to the boy ahead from her.

A few more students who look to be from drama start entering the auditorium and soon Madeline is sitting up leaning to the side massaging her ankle as she watches the scene before her.

Eric nodded, "I know, I know..."

Ms. Dupont crosses her arms and steps closer to the stage, but he stands straight still, "But this doesn't look like she's a swan."

"Ms. Dupont," Madeline calls to her from the floor and she snaps her head towards her, "We'll get it down."

She laughs, "Better fix that ankle then," she says, motioning down to Madeline's leg. "There is no room for mistakes as the main dancer... Pack up!"

Nancy finally make her way to Anais and I, "Are you okay?" they almost ask synchronized.

Madeline nods, "It's just a fall girls," she calm them, getting up from the floor and brushing off the skirt end of her black leotard.

"Well, obviously that, but we mean you-know over there," Anais jokes, glaring down the blonde, and Nancy nods.

"Of course she would cast her nephew as a role," Anais complains, "God, she makes me want to quit doing ballet."

Madeline snickers, "Not making that mistake ever again," she spoke, referring to dating Eric who seemed to be quite professional about things.

The three had eventually gathered their things, putting on their sets of regular shoes and cover ups as they made their way off stage from the side stairs.

Her two best sprinted ahead, squirming about how bad they smelled and in how dire need they were both in for a shower. Madeline smiled shaking her head as she walked far behind them, passing by a few students who were walking up to the stage.

She glanced up for a second, making eye contact with that familiar face who seemed to also be walking towards the stage, before looking back down still heading towards the exit.

The two grazed past each other, and a part of Madeline was disappointed by her lack of carpe diem or maybe even his lack of carpe diem, but she brushed it off. However that was exactly what Neil was thinking too, he pushed his lips together, turning back around, "Wait a second..." he called out to her.

A rush of adrenaline washed over the girl and she paused, turning around to find him walking towards her, and for the first time she saw him. That performative spotlight seemed to still be on him as his glistening eyes up close spoke volume greater than any poem she's ever read, but she couldn't get herself to admit that she was intrigued by the Welton boy.

All in his uniform as well that she hasn't seen him in before; blazer, tucked shirt that was buttoned to the very top, striped tie, straight pants, and dress shoes. He stood at what she assumed was a relative height around six feet, staring down at her on the incline of the auditorium. The script was between his hands and she noticed that the glistening look in his eyes weren't just from the reflection but from his regular features.

He looked so young yet so mature at the same time it sort of confused the girl. His hair was brushing over his forehead as though he wasn't exactly quite sure how to properly gel it down and his cheeks seemed to sink into his face but it was only the illusion of his prominent cheek bones.

He laughed nervously, looking down then back up at her curious expression, "Sorry I just - I just wanted to say you were really good up there," he spoke, referring to her practice.

Madeline opened her mouth slightly before blinking rapidly, "Oh, uh, thank you..." she spoke lightly and the sound of her voice this close made Neil shudder, "I thought you were good too... yesterday," she referred to his audition.

Neil grinned at her, happy at her comment, "I'm Neil, by the way," he stuck out his hand.

Madeline nodded, taking his hand, "Madeline," she introduced.

Neil nodded, grasping her hand and shaking it happily, mentally congratulating himself for finding another way to seize the day, "Do you go to Henley Hall?" he asked, finding another way to get to know this girl for longer.

Madeline nodded shyly, "Welton?" she presumed, even though she already knew.

Neil nodded, "I saw the flyer at school and you know..."

Out of nervousness the girl spoke the next thing on her mind to avoid complete silence, "Carpe diem'd right?"

Realizing how horrible that sounded she mentally scolded herself wondering if the new substitute had put her under a spell, she hoped that he understood her reference remembering what play he was apart of.

Neil stared down at her impressed but also even more amazed at the girl of wonders, "Yeah... yeah - exactly."

Madeline feeling embarrassed looked behind her, "I - I should get going but I'll probably see you next practice..."

Neil nodded, "No, yeah, of course..."

Madeline sent him a small smile already moving up, "Goodbye, Neil."

Hearing his name from her lips he watched her leave, almost stunned by their interaction.