12

2022

"is it yummy?" Melissa ask the girl who sat on her dads lap, shoving food into her mouth.
She nods at her mom.
"Pablo por favor, clean your mouth" Pablo's mom scolds.
Melissa glances at her boyfriend who stared at his mom cluelessly before reaching over and grabbing a napkin and wiping his mouth.
"Papa wipe my mouth" Estela says with her mouth filled with food.
"We don't talk with food in our mouth, Estela" Melissa tells her daughter as Pablo wipes her face off.
After lunch, the family all head off to do camel riding.
Everyone sat on their own camel, while Pablo and Estela shared one.
Melissa takes out her phone, quickly snapping a picture of the two on the camel. Getting Estela reaction as the caramel stood up.
They stayed there for about 1 hour before their turn was over and they had to leave.
The family all gather back at the hotel saying they wanted to rest from the heat for a bit before they go out and explore some more before Pablo has to head to training at 7.
Pablo carries a sleeping Estela into the room. Laying her carefully down into the bed before slowly getting in next to her.
Melissa takes Pablo's shoes off as his feet still hang off the bed. She quickly does the same to herself and gets in on the other side of Estela.
Pablo's looks up at her with a small smile then down at the little girl in between them.
"You know i sometimes still get amazed that we made this" he chuckles motioning down to the 2 years old with his eyes.
Melissa nods in agreement. "It truly amazes me what two people can do"
Pablo smiles softly at his girlfriend.

.
.
.

days later

Melissa stood there emotionless as she stares at the field, watching the boys who represent her country sit on the floor, crying.
She felt Sira squeeze her hands as she sits sadly watching the scene in front of her.
Spain lost to Morocco.
Spains out of the 2022 World Cup.
Her mind instantly moves to Pablo, who she couldn't see from her seat but she knew he was deviated. Winning the World Cup was his dream.
"mami..why is Pepi crying" her daughter whispers, as she wraps her small arms around her moms legs.
Melissa looks down at her daughter before crouching down to her height.
"cause we lost bebe..Spain lost and we didn't want to lose" she tries to explaining.
The little girls starts fidgeting with her tiny fingers.
"Is papa sad too then?" She ask.
Melissa slowly nods, which made the little girl frown.
After a few minutes, they were able to head down to the tunnel.
Melissa holds Estela on her hips as she watched the saddened players walk into the tunnel and into the locker room.
Soon her eyes landed on Pablo, who walked with his head down low.
He looks up knowing that his little family was waiting for him.
He sadly walks over to them, putting on the best fake smile for Estela.
Once he reaches the two girls, Melissa is quick to pull him into a hug, which he instantly melted into.
"I'm so sorry mi amor" she whispers, as she holds him close.
Pablo didn't respond, just keeps hugging her.
His head turns on her shoulder as he feels a tiny hand tap the top of his head. He looks over at his daughter.
"you play amazing papi" she tells him.
Pablo let's out a sad laugh at him daughter before standing up straight and giving her a kiss to her cheek.
"Thank you mi Estrella" he tells her.
Estela smiles at her dad before reaching out and wiping  the few tears that had fallen down her dads face.
He pulls away from his girlfriend and leaves to go get changed.
Melissa stands against the wall to wait for the boy to be done.
After around 15 minutes, Pablo walks out in his Spain shorts, Spain collar shirt and his bag flung over his shoulder.
They walk out to where the national teams bus was waiting to take the players back to the hotel.
His family outside waiting for him.
In a instance him family pulls him into a hug and start telling him that he did amazing.

Once everyone made it back to the hotel. They all went their separate ways to their rooms, wishing everyone a goodnight.
Pablo walks quietly behind his girlfriend and daughter, who laid tiredly on her moms hip.
Walking into the room, Melissa sits Stela down and starts to change her into her PJs, then takes her to the bathroom to brush her teeth.
After leave the bathroom she notices Pablo sitting outside on the balcony scrolling through his phone.
She lays Estela down, giving her a small kiss to her forehead before telling her to go to sleep.
She stays with the little girl for a few minutes until she finally falls into a deep sleep.
Standing up slowly, she starts to make her way to the balcony. Quietly opening it so the 2 year old wouldn't wake up.
Pablo turns his head to look at her. The light from his phone lighting up his face making the dried tears on his face visible.
"I really though we would win this" he chuckles sadly.
Melissa grabs the other chair, moving it right next to his before sitting down, resting her head on his shoulder.
"you guys gave it your all Pablo" she whispers.
Pablo sighs, resting his head ontop of hers.
"I just wanted to win"

Melissa takes his hand and brings it up to her lips, giving it a small kiss. "I know mi amor..just know that Spain is proud of you guys, okay? I'm so proud for how far you've come. So so proud." She tells him.
He nods, leaning down as pressing his lips to her forehead.
"I love you so much" he whispered against her skin.
"I love you more" she whispers back.

A/n: 🕺🏻