Chapter 32 - Helia (Part 2)

"Rodney Sol," Talamayas deep voice rumbled behind Helia, and she turned to face him

"Rodney Sol," Talamayas deep voice rumbled behind Helia, and she turned to face him. Spikes of pitch hair ran his head like shark teeth, the rest rippling like an eel behind in a thin length that fell to his thighs when he stopped. His dark skin made his crimson eyes that much brighter as they assessed both Helia and Pyre. "I started the change for Rodney to become one of my people when the alliance took him. The process is complete now that he's fed fully and rested in his new home. It was the only way he would be allowed to live without someone hunting him."

So Talamayas had poisoned Rodney, in a way. Horus was not going to like this.

Stone stood at Talamayas' side in the same skintight mess as Ghost, but Talamayas no better, always forgoing a shirt to flaunt his body at any mage who dared think to challenge him. With his cloak, Helia had only been able to see how tall and bulky Talamayas was, but without it, the tanned muscle carved its shape into the back of her eyes, flaunting the danger and death in the man if she crossed him. There was so much muscle that Helia imagined he couldn't hug someone without breaking them in half. To top it all off, a tattoo of a simplified sun on his right pectoral was so red it might as well have been done in blood, and the jagged marks on his lower abdomen looked like a monster had picked him up in its jaws only to spit him back out.

No wonder everyone was terrified of him.

The seriousness emanating from both Talamayas and Stone had her and her father stiff as statues and ready to fight for their lives. Even more so, when Shan Sol strode in, his long sheen on black hair whipping behind him in a tight ponytail and his glaive in hand to fell any threat that might present. Like Talamayas, Shan thought shirts were optional, wearing only pants of thin white fabric that layered until they tightened at the ankles. The rest of him was smooth tanned muscle, a shade or two darker than Talamayas' skin, but he had forgone any blood tattoos. Both men were jacked, but Talamayas had an extra twenty-five pounds or so of muscles and stood a head taller with monstrously wide shoulders.

Helia was starting to get how Vice's idea of proper clothing was so warped.

Eyes blacker than oil scraped over her, her father, and Shan Sol even grimaced as he landed on Vice next to her. Did the man not like him? Helia couldn't help the flare of her magic when Shan threatened Vice, and the man gave her a full turn before he bared his fangs. The threat was silent, but it skipped her heart until Vice slipped his hand into hers and gripped her fingers.

"It's all right, Helia," Vice whispered though every vampire in the room could still hear him. "Shan and I have never been the best of friends. Though I appreciate your defensiveness concerning my wellbeing, Shan and I would never truly fight. We are of the same house."

"This is why I said not to take any strays in, Tala. They bring more." Shan grumbled as he dropped his lips back on his teeth to speak to his master. "We need to meet the Cinders at the borders or the gates. It is only your command the men wait for."