01. {a gun at the boneyard}

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

─── ∙ ~εïз~ ∙ ───

"sarah! sarah, be careful, okay?"

"what are they doing here?" kiara carrera questioned, a face of revulsion at the two kook girls.

kiara and her three friends had thrown a kegger at the boneyard, which is where all three cliques in the town could hang out: the pogues, the kooks, and the tourons. john booker routledge glanced over to where kiara was looking, to see sarah cameron sitting on the top of a red structure while her friend, marella river, was leaning against it.

"that's sarah cameron. kook princess. kiara's best friend in the ninth grade, worst enemy in the tenth grade. i work on her dad's boats, so, you know, i've seen her around."

"what are you doing?" topper thornton asked the girl, his arms out in case she fell.

"then that's topper, her not so pleasant boyfriend. topper actually thinks pogues were bred to mow lawns."

"topper, you are so overbearing." marella river shook her head at his antics. "she's six feet high, she's not gonna die."

"i'm not overbearing, i just care." topper corrected her. "is it such a bad thing to not want my girlfriend to get hurt?"

"it's a great thing you care. but sarah's a free spirit, everyone knows this. you just have to let her be free." marella shrugged.

"thanks, marie!" sarah grinned from above, glad she had someone to defend her.

"and that's marella river. i would call her a kook princess too, but she was always a pogue first. her family owns the four-star hotel on the island and she's moved out to figure eight. but before that, she was pope's best friend until something strange happened to her and she stopped hanging out with us."

unaware of john b's deep stare, the girl was now in discussion with kelce smith, a boy in her friend group. she began to chuckle at whatever he was saying, her raven, loose curls blowing in the august breeze.

"remember what i said about jj going after any girl with a heartbeat? besides from kie, river has been his main challenge for months. he and pope made a fifty dollar bet over who would win her over first. pope, thinking he meant win her back into his life and convince her to rejoin our group, agreed. it wasn't until the two had already spit-shook it that jj revealed his true intentions. but it was far too late for pope to back out."

lost in his thoughts, john b hadn't even noticed the girl had made her way over to him. "routledge, may i get a drink?" marella river was probably the most refined girl on the cut, which is probably why she fit in so perfectly on figure eight.