43. Closure

It's been a long time
And seeing the shape of your name
Still spells out pain
It wasn't right
The way it all went down
Looks like you know that now

It's been a long timeAnd seeing the shape of your nameStill spells out painIt wasn't rightThe way it all went downLooks like you know that now

Jenna

"You okay?" I lean against the bar as i cautiously look towards the door awaiting my teammates arrival...

More Paige than anyone else.

Kate smirks raising the corona beer bottle to her lips before looking at me, "Just thinking.."

"Penny for your thoughts?" I nod my bottle towards the bar tender indicating for another as Kate does the same before looking over her shoulder at Caitlin who's flirting with some cheerleader making us both chuckle.

"I can't help but think-" She shakes her head trying to find the words to say to, "what do you think we would be if you had stayed?"

"In terms of us?"

"Don't be stupid Jenn.."

"i-" I shake my head before giving her a tight lipped smile, "Kate, before Caitlin convinced you to go back to Iowa basketball this year for your last year, you would have been leaving me— wether if that was for the W or real life.. a-and I..." I swallow hard, "had a hard time believing i could let you go..."

"So you left instead.."

"Don't start this Kate.."

"I'm serious Jenn, you couldn't watch me leave so you made me watch you.."

"You act like i was the one who disappeared off the face of the earth and completely forgot about you.."

A silence grows between us as the bar tender hands us new bottles, "I could never forget us," She smiles down at me, "not even if I tried. I could never forget you, Jenna Midow,"

"But you would try to forget me?"

"Tried is the definition of us.." She whispers raising the new bottle to her lips taking a sip, "i tried everything.. new girls, new life.. yet you— you always found a way to stick around even at another school.." She chuckles in disbelief, "and for the first couple months it was torcher— seeing your records you broke hung in the gym, watching a freshmen take your locker, your number.. it was all.." She shakes her head, "really hard.."

"But then ?"

"But then it wasn't, I finally came to terms of why you left and why you needed to.. I understood, of course after Cait bugging me for a while about it.. But then i saw you play with her.."

"Paige?"

"Number 5."

"She has a name Kate.." I chuckle

"Oh i know — a big one too.." She smiles, "i saw you two play and —" She stops to think for a moment, "you never smiled playing with me and Cait the way you smile with Paige, Jenna.."She nods accepting what was already there, "And i asked Caitlin about you two and she told me.. kinda everything i guess..and then it all made sense.."