Part 4

I stood in front of the full-length mirror and contemplated my outfit. I was wearing a blue layered top with black tights and black wedges. 

I tugged at the elastic that held my dark brown hair in a high bun. Carefully straightened locks cascaded down my back. I smiled at my reflection. 

Thank god for hair straighteners. 

I hated my frizzy and unmanageable hair. While many girls were fortunate enough to have naturally beautiful tresses that belonged in a shampoo commercial, I woke up with hair that would give any sheepdog a run for its money.

Drawing a thin line of kohl on the waterline of my eyes, I sprayed myself with lavender perfume and strapped on my favourite blue charm bracelet. I dropped my phone, hairbrush, sunglasses, lip gloss, and wallet into my small black backpack.

Okay, looking good, Leena. No need to be nervous, I told myself as I headed downstairs.

Claire was seated at the kitchen counter, dressed in a smart black suit. An expensive looking briefcase rested on the floor next to her chair. She looked up from her bowl of salad when I approached her.  

We wished each other a good morning.  

Claire smiled at my outfit approvingly. "You look great, Leena!"

"Thanks," I said, grabbing the bowl of salad that she had fixed for me. "You, too!"

After the simple breakfast, Claire and I climbed into her shiny, well-maintained BMW. As she pulled out onto the street, I studied the rich beige interiors and wooden dashboard. 

"Love the car," I noted, inhaling its clean, fresh scent.

"Thanks," she smiled, her eyes trained on the road ahead. "I had some maintenance done recently. That's why we had to take a cab from the airport when I picked you up." 

"Oh," I nodded. "Thanks again for taking me to the Village, Claire."

"It's no problem, Lee," she assured me. "I feel bad that I can't get out of work and take you anywhere else during the weekdays. There are so many places for you to see! I'll take you to see them on the weekends, I promise."

"Don't worry about it!" I said. "I'm just glad to be here. You could lock me up in your house for the entire trip, and I'd still love it." 

The sound of Claire's tinkling laughter eased my nerves and made me smile.

I spent the rest of the twenty-minute drive staring out the window at the rows and rows of beautiful houses that dissolved into a collection of shops and restaurants when we reached the Village. A few people milled around the retail stores while some others sat at outdoor tables and chatted animatedly.

Claire parked her car in front of a small, charming bookstore called Athena's Used Books. I decided to explore that shop first. 

"So, I'll be here by noon to have lunch, okay?" Claire asked, peering at me with worry and uncertainty. "Are you sure you'll be fine on your own, Leena?"

"Of course, I'll be fine!" I stepped out of the car, my feet landing on the wide pavement. "Call me when you get here." 

Claire waved goodbye before driving away. 

Shielding my eyes against the sun, I looked up at the bright sky, dotted with puffy clouds. My skin tingled with excitement as I headed towards the bookstore. As soon as I entered, I was assaulted by the smell of a thousand books. Inhaling deeply, I stepped further inside, the wooden floor creaking beneath my heels.

I looked around to find the billing counter to my left unoccupied. Directly in front of me, rows and rows of wooden bookshelves stretched out further into the store. To my right, a coffee table was surrounded by a large, worn purple couch. Soft orchestra music played from speakers mounted to the walls.

"Hello?" I ventured, walking closer to the bookshelves.

"Hello!" A loud masculine voice sounded from right behind me.

Startled, I let out an embarrassingly high-pitched shriek and wheeled around, colliding into a tall, buff guy dressed in a black t-shirt and jeans. The stranger gripped my shoulders with his sinewy hands and steadied me.

"Sorry," I mumbled to his shirtfront.

He laughed and said, "No, I'm sorry! I didn't mean to startle you."

I tipped my head back to look at his face, taken aback by his impeccable, underwear model good looks. With white, aligned teeth, tousled blonde hair, a sharp jawline, and piercing blue eyes, he looked perfect.

Too perfect

"Welcome to Athena's Used Books," he greeted with a broad smile, releasing me from his tight grip. "I'm Zach."

"Thank you," I said, returning his smile. "I'm Leena."

"Nice to meet you, Leena," he said, offering me a firm yet friendly handshake. "I'll let you have a look around the store first. If you need any help at all, I'll be at the counter trying to get the ancient computer to work."

I grinned and thanked him again. 

Once Zach retreated to the counter, I walked into one of the aisles and studied the bookshelves. Hundreds of books were stacked haphazardly in no discernible order. 

I wandered through the aisles, pulling out paperbacks at random, searching each one for signs of their previous owners. I studied the earmarked pages, small rips in the corners, occasional food stains, and creases in the spine from wear. 

After choosing two novels to buy, I headed back to the billing counter. Zach looked up from the computer when he noticed me.

"Hi again," he smiled, accepting the books from my hand. "I'm really sorry, but I can't give you a printed bill. Is a handwritten one okay?"

"Of course!" I nodded.

"I can't get this thing to work," he admitted, pointing at the computer sheepishly. He ripped a page from a ruled notebook, hunching over the table to write on it. "It's just that I'm hopelessly bad with computers."

"I'm not that good either," I said with a laugh. "Sorry, I can't help."

"Oh, don't worry about it! My boyfriend will be here later to fix it," he beamed, his eyes twinkling. "He's a real computer whiz."

I grinned. "Problem solved, then!"

"So, Leena," he began, handing me the books and receipt in a paper bag. "Are you new here? Because I haven't seen you around before."

"Yeah, I'm here as a tourist," I explained. "It's my gap year." 

"Great!" he enthused. With a hopeful, contagious smile, he asked, "Hey, would you like to just hang out here for a while? Get to know each other? I desperately need a new friend."

I blinked, pleasantly surprised by his request for company. 

He actually wants me to be his friend. 

I couldn't hold on to my one friend in high school, but here I was, so far away from home, and a kind stranger was requesting my friendship. I wanted to laugh at the incredulity of it all. 

"Yes," I beamed. "I'd love to!"

I followed Zach as he led me to the purple couch, smiling all the way.

---

Thank you for reading! Please note that I have taken liberty with the geography of Los Angeles, and some places in the story such as Athena's Used Books are fictitious.

I hope you enjoyed this chapter! Please leave feedback and vote if you did. Thanks so much!

Amethyst