Part 38

My eyes swept across the room as I took in the cream walls, the white shelf decked with impressive trophies, the large bed covered in a blue-grey spread, and the sleek silver laptop and sound system that sat on a wooden desk. 

Wandering over to the shelf of trophies, I traced my fingers over Jason's name embossed on an award that depicted a metallic man in a diving position.

"Wow," I breathed in awe. "These are amazing." 

"Thanks," Jason dipped his head, smiling modestly.

"I wish I had cool trophies like these," I commented lightly, thinking about the embarrassing lack of prizes in my bedroom in London. "I never played any sport in school."

"Why not?" Jason asked, his fingers trailing down my arm absent-mindedly.

With a cringe, I thought back to how I had never dared to take part in any activity that hadn't been compulsory for fear of being further ridiculed by my peers.

But Jason can't know that. 

I fumbled to make up yet another lie, "I wasn't very athletic."

In a hurry to distract Jason, I wove around the beanbags to the neat, polished desk. Gripping the back of the swivel chair tucked under the table, I gestured to the sound system. 

"May I?" I asked, raising my eyebrows. 

"Of course," he nodded.

A slow, unfamiliar song started to play when I pressed a circular button on the stereo. The song -- a series of smooth electronic beats perfectly blended with beautiful vocals -- seemed to seep into my bones, sending shivers down my spine.

"You like this?" Jason asked as I walked towards the bed, lying parallel to the pillows with my legs hanging off the side.

I murmured assent and closed my eyes. 

When I felt a tender kiss being pressed against my temple, my eyelids fluttered open. Jason's face was an inch away from mine but facing the opposite direction, his chin resting near my forehead. He shifted around until our lips met. 

A shudder coursed through me at the sweet, unfamiliar sensation of our upside-down kiss. The music that filled the room drowned out the sigh that escaped me when we broke apart to right ourselves on the bed. 

Entirely lost in each other, Jason and I hardly noticed as one slow, velvety song gave way to another.

***

Gathering every bit of courage I had, I said, "I need to talk to you about something important."

Okay, this is it.

"I do, too," Jason said, taking me completely by surprise.

"What?" I asked. "About what?"

"There's this place I want to show you tomorrow," he said slowly. "I'll tell you there."

Jason appeared solemn, his eyes sharp and his brows set in a thoughtful line. His seriousness sent a wave of relief washing over me.

It'll get ugly . . . You'll just drift apart.

Jason has realised it, too.

But my relief quickly disappeared, replaced by a dull ache when I imagined Jason telling me that we must end things.

Stop it. He's only making things easier.

"Why can't you tell me now?" I asked.

Jason paused in thought, sweeping his fingers along my collarbone in a manner so distracting that I almost forgot my question by the time he spoke.

"Tomorrow," he said cryptically. "I'm taking the night shift again."

By the unsmiling look on his face, I became certain of his intentions. Suddenly, I was in a hurry for the both of us to speak our minds.

"Jason, we don't have much time left," I tried to reason with him.  

Five, four, three, two, one.

Jason's hand blazed a trail of heat around my waist as he drew me closer and whispered, "It can wait a little longer."

He spoke with a powerful finality that forced me to believe his words. I sighed in resignation as I gave into the moment once again.