(19)

* * * *

"She was a genius of sadness, immersing herself in it, separating its numerous strands, appreciating its subtle nuances. She was a prism through which sadness could be divided into its infinite spectrum."

― Jonathan Safran Foer, Everything Is Illuminated

* * * *

{Chapter: 19}

Unedited ✖

{ A S P E N M O N T G O M E R Y }

"Aspen, I need you to run an errand for me." Edith say's from inside the kitchen.

I raise my head from behind my book, pulling out one of my earbuds out.

"What?"

I can hear Edith shuffling form behind the closed swinging doors before she comes strutting out, her brows furrowed in an irritated frown. "Were you not listening to me?"

"Nope." I reply nonchalantly, showing her my earbuds.

She rolls her eyes in annoyance, pursing her lips.

"Nobody listens to me in this house." She sighs. "I said, I need you to go run an errand for me. I need some garlic and celery form the store for dinner tonight but I can't leave right now. I need you to go get them for me.

"Okay." I drag out slowly. "But with one condition; I get to drive your Jeep."

She scoffs. "As if."

I shrug. "Fine, no deal." I say, casually turning a page in my book.

She grumbles under her breath for a moment, turning and disappearing back inside the kitchen. I rest my back against the couch comfortably assuming I'm no longer of use before something hard hits me on my shoulder.

"Ow." I whine, glaring at Edith who just shrugs at me.

"Go get my grocery's."

I pick up the keys and make a face. "Go get my grocery's." I mock in a croaky, witch like voice.

I snicker when she throws an oven mitt at my face. "Love you too."

I slip on my red vans and grip the door handle, twisting and pulling the small wooden door open just enough for me to wedge through before shutting it behind me.

Hopping down the porch steps and across the stone crosscut I walk through the whining gate and slide into Edith's jeep pulled over on the side of the narrow road.

I debate pulling the convertible top down but after a bit decide against it, putting the key in the ignition and turning it clockwise, the engine roaring to life with a gentle thrum.

Rolling the window down, I pull the seat belt across my chest and lock it in place before peeling away from the curb slowly and beginning to trek down the road at the posted speed limit.

Three minutes into the drive I realize I have no idea where I'm going. Feeling blindly in my back pocket I slip my phone into my palm and dial Edith's number.

"Hello?" A gruff voice answers..

I slow down at a stop sign, looking both way's as I reply, "Julius, why are you answering my sisters phone?"

Shuffling and murmuring comes from the other side of the line, and I assume its Edith in the background. "Because I can?" He drawls.

I roll my eyes. "Whatever. Tell Edith I need directions to the store."