E p i l o g u e

* * * *

"The story of life is quicker than the wink of an eye, the story of love is hello and goodbye...until we meet again"

― Jimi Hendrix

* * * *

{Chapter: 35}

Unedited ✖

{ A S P E N M O N T G O M E R Y }

It had been two weeks since the encounter with Athena, her presence all about deceased from the little town of Grimwater as well as the lingering essence of death.

The deceased were given a proper burial a few days after the battle. It was a disturbing service and too many people were crying. I'd nearly cried myself for all the losses of the people in the pack, a sinking feeling weighing down in my stomach.

After the service, things had slowly gone back to normal a few days after. People were gradually returning back to their lives and family, just as Nicholai and I had begun to strengthen our own bond.

Nicholai was much more affectionate than I ever would have thought him to be. The distant, broody werewolf I'd come to know only came out to play whenever he was moody, but even then he was now treating me like I was officially apart of this pack. Like I belonged next to him as a Luna, and nothing felt better than knowing that I was just as accepted to him as he was to me.

The weeks flew past quickly and now everything had seemed to fall back into the normal flow of things. Edith had been more grouchy than normal and I can only guess it must be menstrual pains, and Julius was no doubt taking the brunt of it all.

Caring and fuzzy as always, he was constantly beside her, waiting and obeying her every whim without so much as a questioning glance. Edith's bad mood crumbled every time he whispered something low in her ear, and I can tell he was using the mate bond to its full effect.

To my dismay, Julius refused to abandon the man bun. He said it was a physical attribute to show his robust amount of masculinity. But to me, he just looked like a huge lumberjack with caveman hair. Edith, go figure, supported her mate and said it made him look sexy. I didn't bother to hide my gagging, especially at the wolfish grin Julius flashed Edith and his long, exaggerated wink.

I yawn, stretching blissfully underneath the large comforter thrown over my body. My muscles flex and groan in awakening, my back cracking noisily.

Something beside me shifts and husky moan reverberates down my spinal cord, grating my nerves pleasurably as I lazily blink myself awake, a smile wafting over my lips.

Nicholai and I's relationship had excelled quickly after the fiasco with Samuel. Nicholai was eager after knowing that the huge threat was out of the way, although we both knew there was a possibility the leftover rogues might possibly return (although Nicholai didn't fret much over them), and things progressed posthaste after that.

We'd completed the mating process, I'd moved out of Nicholai's spare bedroom and into his, and everything was okay. Better than okay.

My father and I were still not on speaking terms. He'd called a week after leaving to check up on me. The call was brief and he sounded uncomfortable, but even though he'd made the conversation short, apart of me was thrilled to know he'd cared enough to call and make sure I was alright.

Apart of me knew he was telling the truth and he really was worried, in his own strange way. But it took a lot to acknowledge that fact. I still had a strong dislike toward him, but it had lessened slightly. Only slightly.