Chapter 16

A/N: Vote and comment!!!!

One who wears the crown,
Bears the crown.

                               - The Heirs.

*****************

She held the paper close to her heart.  Embracing the person who wrote it. She took in the smell. It smelled like home. Accompanying the letter came gifts, among which her favourite was the box full of glass bangles.

She immediately sat down at her desk to write a reply. But what shall she write? She thought. About how isolated and lonely she felt? About how she was humiliated publicly not once, not twice but numerous times? Or about the delightful husband who slapped her and had been avoiding her since?

If she wrote about it, her mother would have a heart attack out of worry. And a series of 'I told you so, marrying your daughter to him would be a grave mistake' shots would be fired.

So she dipped her quill in ink and wrote everything that had happened in paradox and spun a web of lies. Anything that would make her mother and brother not worry.

Sprinkling sand on the paper she folded the paper and called in a maid to get it delivered. After that she walked out of her chambers for her daily routine. But since it was Friday, she decided to visit the infirmary first.

That's when she heard metal clashes. She looked down the balcony. Two men were sword fighting, one of them was her estranged husband other was Farookh.

They were both swearing profusely. To Ruh it didn't look like a friendly fight. It looked like they were fighting for real. Fighting for something. Somehow it seemed so familiar.

She shook out of her thoughts as she heard a thump. Farookh was on his back with his opponent's  sword on his neck.

"You lost." Jellal spat.

"So it seems..." Farookh said pushing the sword away and getting up.

He stood up towering Jellal to show his dominance. Jellal's jaw tightened. And he spoke through gritted teeth,

"Don't ever lecture me on how to treat my wife."

"Funny that you require a lecture on that when it comes as a common sense." Farrokh's smile grew cocky.

"Stay away from her." Jellal said giving a brief pause after every word.

"What would you do if I say I won't?" Farookh said taunting him and it added fuel to the fire.

Ruh watched them banter back and forth. Her eyes widened when Jellal raised his sword to slice Farookh's head off. Without her knowing she yelled out,  "No!"

Jellal's sword stopped mere inched from his neck. Both men looked up to a flustered her. She straightened up, her cover was blown.

"I shall leave now!" She informed and started walking hastily.

"I need to talk to you! Wait there!"

She stopped on her path. She knew whose voice it was. If only he wanted to do that a week ago she would've gladly obliged. She didn't need his sorry now not even his conversation.

"I can't. I am busy." She cut it short and walked out of the corridor.

***

Jellal felt like he was playing a game of cat and mice. He would be just in the door and she would be out the other. His whole day was a series of 'you just missed her'.  As the sun set, he was tired and frustrated.