Chapter 35 - Time

I was crying last night
But you don't care
---------------------------------------------

~Two years later~

Kayleigh's POV

I looked down at the test in my hand, tears rolling down my cheeks. His words echoed through my mind.

"Let this be a lesson to you, I don't want children."

I shuddered at the thought of his voice, my hand on my belly. I looked at the test again, not wanting to believe the two lines that showed up.

I felt more tears slip out of my eyes, and even though it was July, I hugged my sweater tighter around myself.

"I can't do that again." I whispered.

With a renewed determination, I hid the test in my backpack, then went downstairs to the kitchen.

Jack was waiting for me. "You're late." He said.

"I was cleaning the bathroom floors." I said.

Jack stared at me for a moment, then nodded. "Dinner needs to be served at six." He said.

I nodded.

"Remember, Kristen is a vegan." He added.

I nodded again.

Jack left the room, and I let out a small sigh.

   I grabbed some vegan bagels, and popped a couple into the toaster oven.

   After I started the oven, I grabbed two avocados and started to prepare them.

   I put all the avacado into a mixing bowl, and then I grabbed a lime from the fridge.

I cut the lime into quarters, then squeezed the lime juice into the bowl.

I used a spoon to mix the lime juice into the avocado, just as the toaster beeped.

I cut the bagels in half and set them onto a plate, then spread the avocado mixture on top.

I put some chopped tomatoes on top, then set them down on the table.

I walked back into the kitchen, and opened the fridge. After searching for a moment, I found the bowl I was looking for.

I pulled the bowl of already made fruit salad out of the fridge, and filled two bowls with it before putting it back into the fridge.

I grabbed a bottle of champagne, and set that on the table along with the bowls of fruit salad.

Then, with a backward glance to make sure no one was watching, I put my backpack on and slipped out the back door.

I ran down the trail, my backpack strapped securely to my back. After about five minutes of running, I slowed down and walked into a barn on the very edge of Jack's property.

I took my backpack off, and pulled out a set of keys. Then, I unlocked the door of my beat-up car.

With one more backward glance, I hopped into the car and tossed my backpack on the seat next to me.

I turned on the car, and drove out of the barn and onto the road.