Chapter 48 | Partner

After hearing Miss All-Sunday's remark, Vivi follows her gaze and takes a good look at you. At first, she wonders what Mr. 0's partner meant but when her eyes wander down to your waist, she recognises you as well. Although she was not too interested in the gossip going around Baroque Works, she still got an earful about a particular girl.

"That was you...?" Vivi whispers to herself. Suddenly a cold shudder runs down her back. Beside the rumours that you harbour immense powers, there is another piece of information which made you notorious in the organisation. Apparently, before Miss All-Sunday took the place as a top member, Crocodile wanted to hire S. G. as his partner.

With that thought, she tenses up, wondering if Miss All-Sunday holds a grudge against the one she is substituting. After all, she was the boss' second choice. It might have hurt her pride.

Vivi stares intensely at you, awaiting your reaction but soon she sees how clueless you look. A quick glance at Miss All-Sunday confirms that there is no tension at all between you two. Rather, the lady in purple seems thrilled to meet you.

"Maybe I should bring back a little present for Crocodile," Miss All-Sunday proposes. "Even though you aren't needed anymore, it will be pleasant to see his reaction. He could fantasise of what could have been." She snickers amusedly.

"What is she talking about? I don't get it at all!" Luffy says.

"So you're the captain of the Straw-hat pirates, Monkey D. Luffy," she affirms. "How unfortunate... The name of the next place on your journey is Little Garden. It's likely you'll never reach Alabasta." Suddenly, she flicks her finger and an eternal pose lands in Vivi's hands. "You'll be able to skip right over your future problems with that. The needle points to an obscure uninhabited island located right before Alabasta."

Right after she finishes her explanation, Luffy grabs the eternal pose out of Vivi's hands and smashes it. "Don't you dare think that you can choose the path of our journey!" he exclaims boldly. In that moment you are once again reminded of how awesome he is, although he is quick to act without thinking about the consequences. Still, you like that unperturbed side about him.

"I see... how unfortunate," Miss All-Sunday says and as sudden as she appeared, she disappears again.

"It's morning! Sanji, it's time for breakfast!" Luffy shouts. After the long and chaotic night in Whiskey Peak, the sun is rising once more. You stretch your arms, feeling a bit sore because you hardly got any sleep. Nami is still nagging about how Luffy should not have broken that eternal pose.

You sit down in the kitchen, supporting your head with one arm and slowly dosing off as you listen to the sound of water boiling in a pot. The chopping and sizzling sounds are somehow soothing to you. Sanji is so concentrated on cooking a delicious breakfast for the crew, he did not even notice you sitting there.

When he was finished and wanted to set the table, he sees your sleeping form. He is a bit surprised at first but then he smiles, remembering the time he waited for you to wake up in the Baratie. Compared to last time, you look a lot more peaceful. He shakes his head when he catches himself thinking about who you are dreaming of.

Another thing he just remembered is the fact that you said you might not be here anymore when the next crewmember joins. 'Did Luffy not ask you to join? How did you two meet? Why are you travelling with us? Can't you stay?' These questions are begging to leave his mouth. Although he is very curious, he thinks it is better if you tell everyone in your own pace.

The smell of freshly prepared breakfast makes your mouth water. You gradually open your eyes to a fully set table of all kinds of food.

"Sorry to make you wait~ Breakfast is ready!" Sanji says cheerily when he sees your amazed face. He places a cutely patterned mug in front of you. "A lovely drink for a lovely lady," he comments. "It's milk tea, my own recipe."

A smile spreads across your face. "Thank you, Sanji. I really like this!" You place your palms on the warm mug, looking at the light caramel colour of the liquid. With his gaze on you, Sanji slowly feels his heartbeat getting faster. It feels as if something is blossoming inside him.

"Foooood!" The other crewmembers storm into the kitchen one after another, sitting down and enjoying or gobbling up their meal, while Sanji was still in a daze. "Sit down already! The cook has to eat too," Usopp says to him. His words work and Sanji quickly comes back to reality.

During the meal, you could not help but notice Vivi eyeing you in a weird, distanced way. Normally, you are quite unaware of things like this but it was hard not to realise it when she is sitting right before you.

After breakfast, you wanted to ask her about the strange behaviour and it looks like you are not the only one who had questions. Vivi waits for everyone but you to leave the kitchen, then promptly shuts the door and blocks it.

"What's wrong?" you ask, shuffling a bit in your seat in preparation of her answer, which makes you look more suspicious in her eyes.

"You are S. G., also called the Silent Gunner, right?" she begins. "Everyone in Baroque Works has heard about you but since that phone call nobody has tried to capture you again because of how fearful you seem." Vivi walks closer, carefully observing your reaction. "Isn't it strange that a Shichibukai like Crocodile couldn't get his hands on you even though he had the power to do so?"

You do not react in any special way to her questions. The fact is, you have heard of the name Silent Gunner in the past and it is almost certain that this title belongs to you. The rest of what Vivi said you already heard from Igaram.

"It's true that since Miss All-Sunday became Crocodile's partner, the order of the official priority list was changed but the agents know you've taken the top spot from the time the organisation was founded until Miss All-Sunday joined," she continues to elaborate. "So how come you could stay undetected until now? Who are you?"

For a few moments, you take in everything she said. You want to answer her questions as sincere as possible but for someone who's past is a haze, it is difficult to come up with satisfying answers. From the look in her eyes, you could tell that she would be doubtful if you simply told her you lost your memories.

So you decide to tell her everything you do know about yourself.