31. Baby Grape Crushes

ELLIOT

ELLIOT

"Where's Rachel?" Madelaine asked after mathematics class ended and the students rushed out of the classroom.
I was grabbing my books from my desk when Madelaine, Will and Skylar approached me. They looked quite worried.

"She's not feeling very well," I replied.

"What? Why? She was fine with me last night. Did something happen?" Will asks, concern clouding his face.

"Nothing happened. She's just a little extra depressed today," I said.

I couldn't tell them what happened, because I wasn't sure what happened myself. Rachel didn't tell me what her nightmare was about and why it triggered her.

"It doesn't have anything to do with our date last night, right?" He questioned.

"No, of course not. I talked to her about it and it has nothing to do with that," I assured. "She just wants to stay in bed today. Don't worry guys. She's fine. You can see her in the evening," I added, smiling.

They nodded and relief broke across their faces.

"So what classes is your mom going to teach?" Madelaine asked, smiling.

"Forget that, he hasn't even introduced us to her," Skylar huffed, grumpily.

I was about to open my mouth to say something, but a familiar voice interfered our conversation. "Is right now a good time?"

I turned around and found mom standing at the doorstep. A bright smile was plastered across her face, the sun from the windows reflecting on her green eyes. She was wearing blue jeans and a red blouse with her silky brown hair that had the same shade as mine, falling to her chest. Something was different with mom today. She was glowing.

"Hi, everyone." She walked towards us.
"Are these your friends, Elliot?"

"Yeah. Mom, this is Skylar, Madelaine and Will. Guys, this is my mom," I said, smiling.

"Nice to meet you guys," she said, shaking their hands and receiving genuine smiles from them.

"Your mom is so pretty," Skylar confessed, honestly.

I grinned. "True that."

Mom's smile widened and she briefly  hugged Skylar. "Thank you, dear."

"How's the preparation going?" I asked, wrapping my arm around her shoulders.

"Louis has been helping me to get to know the school, the staff, the rules here and everything else. I've also spent a week going through biology and English literature so I know what I'm going to be teaching you guys. Tomorrow will be my first day as a teacher here," she informed.