GHOST OF YOU

12| Loki Peakes

"Explain what, darling?" Dad said as he frowned, walking into my room.

I gave him the book and he looked at it, surprised. "Did you do the family tree?" He asked, a little more impressed.

"Dad, tell me the truth, was mum a Briggs?" I asked, crossing my arms.

He frowned as he looked at me. "It wasn't really a secret darling, why do you think we moved here?" He asked sitting on the edge of my bed.

"Cause you wanted to get away from the memory of mum but instead you brought us to a town that's run by a Briggs" I replied, angry.

"You're talking about the mayor obviously, who do you think has been helping me find work" he trailed off.

I slid off my bed, my father watching me. "Why didn't you tell me any of this" I replied, gesturing to the book.

"Well I would've eventually when you asked to know" he replied, sounding a bit hurt.

"Why are you so angry?" He added.

I sighed. "It's a long story" I replied.

"Well I hope it has an ending because whatever it is has changed you darling, you're more quiet and secretive and just because I haven't been around doesn't mean I don't notice" he said, placing the book down.

I turned to face my father. "I see a ghost" I said, seriously.

Dad started to grin until he realised I was serious. I walked over to him, opening the book and pointing down to Loki's name. "I see him in the house and we talk all the time" I replied, glancing at my father.

His face was emotionless. "He always said I looked exactly like Vanessa Kershaw and I never knew why because I didn't even know my mum's family history but now I know..." I trailed off.

"Reena-" Dad started to say tiredly.

"Look, you can think I'm insane all you want but I know the truth now and I have to tell Loki" I said grabbing the book.

"Reena!" My father exclaimed as I hurried out of my room and down the stairs.

I tried not to imagine Loki's body, lying dead at the bottom and I jumped off the last step. I ran towards the lounges and go to the floor, my hand darting under the lounges for the necklace I had thrown there.

I felt the cool metal and smiled in triumph as I grabbed it.

With a glance up at the stairs, I slipped on some flats and ran out into the night, towards the dead garden of roses. Finding a good place to hide, I held the necklace tightly and closed my eyes.

I thought of Loki, his sarcastic humour and warm words. I thought of the nights that we lay side by side and the kiss we had shared. "What's the emergency?" I heard.

My body breathed a sigh of relief and I opened my eyes. Loki was looking around the garden, sadness etched in his eyes. "Loki" I breathed out.

He turned to look at me, noting my pajamas. "You called for me?" He asked.

My hands scraped against the leather book. "Loki, did you know you have a great great granddaughter" I said, scrambling to stand up.