Break Down

"Del, what are you doing?" 

Mina looked up as the elevator finally opened, revealing Buck. He didn't bother trying to squirm out from under Del's massive wolf, however, because he'd already exhausted himself trying for the past... he had no idea how long. 

"Why aren't you responding?" Buck asked as he knelt in front of Del's wolf. 

The large creature pinned its ears and wined as Buck reached forward and ran his fingers through the thick fur on its head. 

Thank god he finally stopped licking me. I'll be shocked if I don't have a bald spot on the back of my neck now. 

"Let him up, hun." Buck said with a warm smile as he gently guided the wolf to its feet with his hands on either side of its face. 

The second the beast moved its paw Mina scrambled forward, putting several yards between them before he turned around and gave his best pathetic hiss. So tired. He refused to show it, however, and instead slowly crept back to the elevator and pawed at it while looking up at Buck, who turned when he heard his little paws scratching at the metal door. 

When the man knelt beside him, Mina hunched and tucked his tail, but pressed his paw against the door again as he looked up with pleading eyes. I just want to go h— somewhere else. He wouldn't go back to his uncle's home, but he was too stressed to stay where he was right then. If he had to, he'd curl up in an alley for the rest of the day. He just needed some rest and to get away from everyone. 

"I'm sorry, but I can't open the doors for you until Del returns." Buck said, making Mina pin his stubby lion ears to the side of his head and look down at his paws. 

Don't cry. Don't waste your tears on this. 

Shaking out his coat, Mina slowly walked back toward the bedroom, but right before stepping through the door he right and walked a few more steps before dropping down to curl up in the corner on the cold tile. He knew that waiting for the doors to open without Buck or Del doing so wasn't going to happen, so he wasn't going to pretend that waiting by them would somehow make them magically slide open. 

He watched as Del's wolf walked closer, but right before it could find a spot to lie down next to him, Buck blocked him and gestured for him to go into the bedroom. It was clear that it didn't want to, but it also didn't protest. Once he was gone, Buck actually slid down the wall beside Mina and reached down, gently setting his hand on his lion's head. 

I don't want to be pet. 

"I'm sorry I'm keeping you here. Normally I wouldn't, but I've never seen Del disappear like this. I'm not worried that he won't return, but for his wolf to actually force him back so much that he can't respond... it worries me. I just want you to stay until he's back, then I promise that I'll let you go." He said with sad eyes. 

A normal person would be sad for the hurt person who is being held against their will, but I know that the look in your eyes is only for him. 

He didn't want it, either. In fact, Mina moved his head just far enough so that Buck's hand slid from his fur. Thankfully, he didn't try to replace it, and after a short while, got up and walked inside the bedroom. 

"Hey you damn deer, where the hell are you!" 

Magnus's yell as he shoved his way through the door leading to the staircase had Mina jumping from surprise. He'd been dozing, but as soon as he noticed the door slowly closing, he bolted for it. Thankfully, he took Magnus by enough surprise to get past him, but as he was squeezing through the heavy steel door, it jerked the last few inches closed... right on his poor back left leg and tail.