Chapter 18

"Hermione your neck..." Harry trailed off at lunch on Sunday, since Draco didn't let her leave the bed until at least after eleven.

"What's wrong with it?" Hermione asked, hopefully wishing it didn't look as bad as it sounded.

"It's bruised right...there," he ended as he poked where Draco bite her. She couldn't help but wince when Harry touched it. It was still sensitive, and hurt a little.

"Oh I, er, fell," she lied. She was always a bad liar, especially to Harry and Ron. She could tell by Harry's expression that he didn't believe her, and she wouldn't blame him.

Before Harry could voice his disagreement, Ron plopped down next to her with a groaning about how he was hungry and throwing a few jokes around about how he nearly ate Neville's arm off.

~•~

"Its snowing," she whispered as she looked out of her window.

Draco watched as Granger opened her window to stick her hand out. "It's not cold enough to stay," he said, moving to sit up on her bed.

"I know," she sighed. "I'm just happy to see it.

"You like winter?" he asked. She nodded, her hair bouncing.

"It's symbolic in a way," she responded, "it's fresh, it's clean. It's white. Practically untouched."

He slowly and soundlessly stood up from the bed he was occupying.

"It's like anything could happen to it...at anytime. And once it's stepped on, it's no longer perfect, or as it once was."

"Must you be so dramatically cliché?" He snorted.

She snorted back. "Everyone complains about cliché, but what would this world be without it?"

"A non-stereotypical world," he said as he approached her. He bent forward to place his chin on her shoulder, while slowly moving his hands underneath her singlet and caressing her stomach.

She didn't respond, but then again how could you respond to his comment. Stereotypes are always a hard subject to breach.

"That would be nice," she commented, leaning her head against his.

"It would."

~•~

"I propose a ball."

Hermione threw a questioning look at the Professor in front of her. "Professor, with all due respect, why should we have one? It would only seem to take up too much time and effort that most of the prefects would rather not put forth."

Mcgnagall stood up, and clasped her hands. "I want Hogwarts in a celebratory spirit. And I believe a Christmas ball would suffice."

"But Professor," Draco tried to protest.

"No buts, we are going to have a ball. Now, this meeting is over, enjoy your weekend."

Hermione stood up and walked to the door, which Draco held open for her.

"This is going to be ridiculous," Draco said as they walked down the corridor.

"I think it'll be nice," she commented. Out of the corner of her eye, she saw Draco throw her a look of surprise. "I agree with Mcgonagall. It would be nice to have Hogwarts into the Christmas spirit."

"Of course you would," Draco sighed.
Hermione smiled at him. He rolled his eyes, and placed his hand in hers, intertwining their fingers.

"You're so cheesy," she whispered as she slowed to a stop, with him along with her. They stood there in the corridor, alone, staring at each other.