Chapter 6

I felt so stiff, so cramped. I tried to turn myself around from this awful position I was sleeping in.

Big Mistake.

 “Ow…” I groaned as I tried to get myself up from falling on the ground.

“Juliet!” a newly familiar voice rang. Finny. “Oh my God, are you alright?” he asked as he helped me up.

“Wow, this is the first girl I ever saw that slept so much, I almost thought you were dead.” I heard another voice say with a laugh. Donnie.

Trying to open my eyes fully seemed impossible, it actually hurt being around all this light.

“I….what?” was all that managed to come out my mouth. I had actually wanted to ask ‘what time was it’ but my sleepy aftereffects were kicking in making it impracticable to speak aloud.

As my vision became clearer I got a view of everyone. Finny was standing near me with that boyish charm, and Donnie, sitting at the table with Adrian, stared at me with a smile. Adrian of course didn’t bother looking at me, he just kept drinking whatever he had in his cup and reading a file.

“You should have let her sleep in the bed Adrian, you didn’t even sleep there last night.” Finny said in a weary tone almost as if he was a bit frustrated.   

There was no response to that. How typical Vandermir. I struggled it off and asked, “What time is it?”

“Two in the afternoon, you could sure sleep a lot I got to admit.” Finny said with a small laugh.

Oh my God. Was it really that time?  

“Well it’s good that you’re awake now, I’ve got something for you,” he continued as he gave me a large bag.

Placing the bag in my hands I saw there were a number of clothes, makeup and other essential stuff inside it. “Oh, you….didn’t have to get me anything.” I replied a bit awkwardly.

No stranger ever went through this much trouble for me before.

“Yes, clothing isn’t that essential to her Finneas, so why must you go through that much trouble?” I heard Adrian with his icy silk voice chuckle.

That dog.

He still hadn’t looked at me. My anger toiled already and it hasn’t even been a full five minutes since I woke up yet. Almost as if Finny knew I was going to snap he interrupted me, “Come on,” he said as he pulled me into the office room with him.

“Umm….I don’t even know what to tell you Finneas, I’ve only met you yesterday and you’ve only been kind to me.” I stated a bit embarrassed.

“Don’t make me feel like a stranger Juliet.”

But we are…

There was something about him, I was confused as to how someone as generous as him could be friends with someone like Adrian Vandermir. What did he have to do with those dangerous men like Ricardo and Donnie. He was nothing like any of them.

“What’s with you?” I asked a bit curious, “Why are you so nice to me? Everyone else here has been a pain, so why aren’t you?”

My question seemed to falter his innocent smile. I didn’t mean to say anything hurtful to him, then why did he look like he was in pain?

“I’m sorry, I shouldn’t have said anything.” I said taking it back regretfully. Right now, I didn’t want to get on the wrong side of the only one who’s been genuinely kind to me.