Chapter 8

Fiancée? What the hell was Vandermir doing?

Whatever was going on in that head of his, better have good reason. I’ve never seen him so calm and collected before, the way he said it seemed so real.

“She’s a little shy.” Adrian continued with a soft sweet laugh.

He laughed? What a strange sound.

“I can see that.” The old man replied looking almost impatient and discontented but held a cheap smile upon his face, “What’s your name may I ask?”

Vandermir then looked to me and gave a smile. He smiled? This day was becoming so frightening, I mean, since when does he even start doing that? That smile even seemed so charmingly gentle and genuine. And his eyes, they hid that coldness, that sharp murderous gaze was gone. Instead they beheld a tender lovable affection towards me. At that moment I realized his eyes were the most alluring shade of grey ever. He was actually really handsome. His gaze on me almost made my knees buckle and it wasn’t because of the heels.

Suddenly I felt him squeeze my hand tighter.

Oh right, my name.

“Juliet Greene,” I answered as I turned to the man giving him one of my most graceful smiles, “It’s a pleasure to meet you Mr O’Neil.”

“The pleasure’s all mine Miss Greene, although I wish I had gotten to you before Vandermir here.” He laughed as if he made a joke and walked away leaving me with a frown upon my face.

Did that man really think I’d set my standards so low? Being with him? Ew.

As we were going to get to the table where Finny and Ricardo were, a number of individuals approached us. Adrian surprisingly told the same story to everyone who asked who I was. To be truthful, it was maddening me every time he said it. Who did he even think he was to be saying that? Did he think it was some sort of joke? Who gave him the right? I wasn’t just some girl he could use like that. The urge to take my heels off and slap him in the face with it was becoming irresistible by the minute. And this constant mingling about business and unimportant information such as the type of grass in their front yard was apparently a big thing with these people. I just wanted to scold Vandermir so badly but I didn’t want to make a scene.

Finally we arrived at the table when suddenly someone pulled a chair for me. It wasn’t Adrian, it was Donnie?

“Please have a seat Mrs. Vandermir.” He teased with a grin on his face.    

“Oh shut up,” I stabbed back at him softly as I swiftly turned to Adrian who held a scowl on his face.

No one’s attention was on us so maybe it was okay to get mad at him. I didn’t care anymore, yet I still spoke quietly.

“What’s wrong with you!” I hissed, “Who the heck gave you the right to call me your fiancée!”

“Let me guess, O’Neil got involved?” Donnie asked Adrian completely overlooking me.

“Yes, but this airhead here can’t understand a thing.” Adrian scoffed at me and walked away.

What an unpleasant man.

Finny patted the seat next to him keeping his innocent smile on his face as I took the seat.

“Please don’t be so upset Juliet. Adrian did the right thing.” He said warmly.

“Excuse me?” I replied in disbelief, “The right thing? Are you nuts? Do you know the difference between right and wrong?”

As I said that, I deeply regretted it. Maybe I shouldn’t have said that so harshly to him.